Please Look... What Else Can I Do?

Decorating By cupsncakes Updated 8 Sep 2009 , 3:09pm by Vampyra

cupsncakes Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:21am
post #1 of 19

Hi, I've just finished this disco themed cake for a customer who wants it on Saturday for a disco 40th birthday. My husband who is usually very supportive, (but often constructively critical) just doesn't like it at all. Now he's got me feeling like it's not good enough for the customer. Does anyone have any ideas of what I could do to improve this cake. Or should I just leave it rather than risking decorating overload?? icon_confused.gif Help please!
LL

18 replies
cupsncakes Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:38am
post #2 of 19

PS there is glitter scattered over the whole cake, that's why the black looks patchy in the photo icon_smile.gif

Molly2 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:46am
post #3 of 19

I think the cake looks cool but you do need glitter and what I really think takes away from it is the candle to me it needs a different topper other then that its pretty cool love the idea. (thats just my me I'm not a great fan of those candles)

Molly

2SchnauzerLady Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:54am
post #4 of 19

I agree with Molly, the candle takes away from it - it needs to be glittery to keep in theme with the cake. The cake itself looks great.

NoahLili Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:54am
post #5 of 19

The cake looks great! But, I'd also go with a different topper. Try cutting on out of gumpaste with a 70's themed disco font.

cupsncakes Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:59am
post #6 of 19

Yep, I'm on to it right now! Thanks! I knew CC would help. I'm off to colour some gumpaste...

beccal1972 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:01pm
post #7 of 19

I also think this cake looks cool, but I agree with noahlili, that candle does take away from the cake, My thought is to bring up the silver or blue to the top. I'd try making the 40 out of foam core then covering with foil or glitter, and attatching to the cake with toothpicks

Makeitmemorable Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:41pm
post #8 of 19

Totally agree about the topper, ditch the candle and make something creative with the 40 - you could also put some wired stars popping out from behind your new '40' topper.

Good luck,

pupandbon Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:43pm
post #9 of 19

Some small "records" would add a nice touch, I think - or maybe one big one on the topper behind the new 40 you will create?. It's very cute!

edited to add - I was trying to think of something to cover or place in front of the posts but can't think of anything - anybody else got any ideas?

Makeitmemorable Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:49pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by pupandbon

Some small "records" would add a nice touch, I think - or maybe one big one on the topper behind the new 40 you will create?. It's very cute!

Great idea !

jardot22 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:04pm
post #11 of 19

I think you need some blue at the top to tie the black tier in with the rest of the cake. Maybe do a blue gumpaste topper, or have blue and silver stars shooting out from the cake....

pianocat Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:07pm
post #12 of 19

I agree with the others-a different topper. But, what I also see is that the top layer needs some of the blue to make it work with the other tiers. If you make them more cohesive it will be a beautiful cake!

KSMill Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:15pm
post #13 of 19

what about attaching the small records (erratically) on the posts? I do like the cake!

pouchet82 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:28pm
post #14 of 19

How about some records and stars on wire coming out of the cake?

aundrea Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:30pm
post #15 of 19

i second (third and fourth!) a different topper - not that candle, and maybe some stars or something on wires. other than that its a awesome cake.
good luck!

Suzycakes Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:39pm
post #16 of 19

I agree with all of the above suggestions - especially putting records on the support legs. Also if those are the clear plastic ones I think I have seen where they put tinsel inside the legs to add color - does that make sense? I think those legs are hollow and you can stuff something life tinsel - anything shiney - maybe in silver or blue or a mixture of the two - in the legs and that would add some depth.

But it could be over kill too --

Suze

hensor Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:46pm
post #17 of 19

Putting something in the pillars is a great idea suzycakes...I can't wait to see the finished product.

cupsncakes Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:39pm
post #18 of 19

Thank you all so much! last night I made a gumpaste 40 and some stars, but I had some trouble drying them, it's pouring with rain here, so perhaps there is lots of moisture in the air. i didn't want to risk using them on the cake since it was being picked up today. In the end I went down to the store and bought a foam 40 covered in silver glitter and some stars. They looked much better than the candle. The customer gave me the candle, but I don't think she minded that I didn't use it. This way she can just poke it in the top if she wants to for the toast. I loved the records idea, but unfortunately i didn't read it until this morning and it was too late to make them. You were all such a lovely help. It's so nice to be able to ask questions and not be made to feel silly, and you are all so much more knowledgable than my husband ! LOL!

Vampyra Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 3:09pm
post #19 of 19

May I suggest a star burst out of the top of the cake instead of the candle. Im sorry but the candle spoils the look of a lovely cake. Make some different but small sized stars out of fondant icing and let them dry a bit. Paint them with edible silver paint and sprinkle with edible glitter or disco dust (or your equivalent) ....before too dry pop them onto the end of some silver wires. Put them into a posy pick on top of the cake and let some of them droop and some stick out straight. You could also do a few 40 number shapes as well. You could also add a few curly wires into the above for a more funky look.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%