What Happened To My Cake?!?!?!

Decorating By snocilla Updated 27 Aug 2009 , 1:15pm by snocilla

snocilla Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 10:33am
post #1 of 6

I made this cake last night and everything looked fine, but this morning all the fondant had water running out of it! What happened? I didn't use my typical buttercream, I used a cream cheese based icing. Does that not work with fondant?

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1446652.html

[/img]

5 replies
prterrell Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 10:53am
post #2 of 6

I've never tried that combo, but I've heard others report it not working out. Did you have it in the fridge? Refrigerators to bad, bad things to fondant.

leah_s Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:16am
post #3 of 6

I've never used cream cheese with fondant, because I don't use cream cheese icing, but many others have reported that the cream cheese starts to break down the fondant.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:25am
post #4 of 6

SOME cream cheese based icing will do that. As a temp fix, use a paper towel to blot up the oil. In the future consider using a different recipe.

Perhaps:
1 Stick butter
1/2 Cup Shortening
8 oz softened Cream Cheese
2 lbs Powdered Sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Cream butter, shortening, and cream cheese till smooth. Add in powdered sugar and vanilla mix until smooth. This recipe will crust.

Jen80 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:29am
post #5 of 6

Yes, most probably the cream cheese.

I used it on my first ever decorated cake (Farmyard), and my fondant got really wet and practically just dropped off the cake. So I tossed out the fondant and finished the cake with the cream cheese frosting.
I put the animals on just before serving.

snocilla Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:15pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone! Lesson learned! Next time I want to use fondant, I'll just stick with buttercream!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%