My Avatar- Thought Everone Should Know.

Lounge By HowCoolGomo1 Updated 27 Aug 2009 , 10:09pm by Marina

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:42am
post #1 of 37

My pic, I'll admit a little disgusting.

The thing is, it was a baby possum.
My brother actually asked me how I got the pic. He's the guy that hunts and kills stuff. Amazed me that he actually knew it was only a baby.

Make a long story short. The little guy, that's what he was, decided to crawl up over the rail. The little thing actually stayed there, so I could get my film camera. You now get my ugly picture of something most of the world only hopes to have a glimpse.

36 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 10:28am
post #2 of 37

Aweeee, he isn't disgusting -
We have a family of possums in the big trees on our block - and occassionally *cough* they decide to run over our roof - at midnight - and have somehow found there way into our roof cavity - icon_confused.gificon_mad.gif
Afterall it is Winter - and i think i would climb in someones roof cavity instead of perched in a tree in the cold - icon_lol.gif
Noisy little buggers they are - thumping around up there. icon_rolleyes.gif

Looks like another job for the husband this weekend - thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue icon_smile.gif

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 10:40am
post #3 of 37

I LOVE possums. Must be an Aussie thing. We use to have a 'pet' one that lived in the roof. It loved honey on bread and would try to steal Coke from my Dad. And we had one that lived in the lockers at our school - surprisingly, she always let me pat her but not many other people. And when I'm moved to Rocky, we had some that use to go thundering along the tin roof in the early hours and terrify us ... then we got use to them and I sometimes miss Possum's running on my roof now that I'm back in Brisbane.

When we went to New Zealand, the tour bus driver actually lined up a possum and ran him over and I was furious with him. It seems they're pest over there. I still think they're adorable!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:01pm
post #4 of 37

Awww... I think he's cute!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:36pm
post #5 of 37

I have always thought your avitar was adorable. I am a sucker for any animal though!

I have pics of an albino squirrel that visits our bird feeders.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:49pm
post #6 of 37

I think he's so cute!! If you want to hear really disgusting possum stuff:

My son's bluegrass group played an outdoor concert in Mt. Ida, AR this summer. We were down there visiting, so we got to go icon_razz.gif

The concert committee was handing out cans of "Roadkill Possum" -- you wouldn't even want to read the ingredients list on the label (ex. tire residue, gravel, etc.). A woman fessed up that they buy cans of deviled ham and relabel them. Thank Heaven!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:53pm
post #7 of 37

I have a really old Joy of Cooking Cook book someone gave me and it actually has opossum recipes in it! so gross.....I think they're adorable, but not on a plate! (then again I had rats as pets growing up that I used to let run around my bedroom and sleep with me.......my parents did NOT like that lol)

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:56pm
post #8 of 37

I love your pic too....baby anything ...well, any animal really ( I am a vegetarian though) ! One of my dogs, a golden retriever brought me a baby opossum into the house once! I leave the sunroom door open sometimes in the summer, since my dogs like to go out so much during the day. Since my dog Daisy is a retriever, she picks things up with a ' soft mouth'....( some kind of hunting thing, as not to damage the prey, I guess) She laid it at my feet and was so proud. It was not harmed at all and just the cutest thing. We took it back to our neighbor's brush pile where I had seen the mother and some little ones the evening before.

**Loucinda - I would love to see your squirrel pictures...when I was little my grandmother always talked about the albino squirrels that she had seen when traveling

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:05pm
post #9 of 37

They're cute. I knew it was an opossum right away. We had white-faced once where we lived a few years ago. They're scavengers, but they're not nasty like raccoons can be.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

mjk350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjk350 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:07pm
post #10 of 37

Baby animals are all so cute. icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:43pm
post #11 of 37

icon_confused.gif - why do some of you type opossum - is that different to a possum?

Altho i have them running around above - i am not really up to speed with the difference.

We have ringtailed, bush, grey and brown - but never heard of an opossum.

Bh. icon_smile.gif

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:47pm
post #12 of 37

I think that, technically, the word is opossum. But, most people just shorten it to possum.

loulou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou2 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:54pm
post #13 of 37

My cat had had two surgeries thanks to a possum. Cat lives outside. possum steals food, cat fights back, possum wins & I pay the vet to patch her up!!

loulou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou2 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:55pm
post #14 of 37

BTW I don't much care for possum. But here in the south plenty of my neighbors eat them!!

Bluehue Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:01pm
post #15 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by loulou2

BTW I don't much care for possum. But here in the south plenty of my neighbors eat them!!

We have Roo (kangaroo steaks) - very dleish - and so very healthy for you - no fat - no cholesterol.
People icon_confused.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.giftapedshut.gif at the thought of eating anything besides Lamb, Beef and Pork.....*shrugs*

Bluehue.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:36pm
post #16 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

They're cute. I knew it was an opossum right away. We had white-faced once where we lived a few years ago. They're scavengers, but they're not nasty like raccoons can be.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

just curious...how are raccoons nasty? How is something that eats the insides out of dead animals (from the inside out...just tap on the side of a puffed up dead cow and see if several possums don't escape out the same orifice they entered...the things one sees living on a farm in Texas...) not as nasty as a raccoon? The raccoons were happy if they could score something out of the trash can....

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:34pm
post #17 of 37

all4cake wrote: "just curious...how are raccoons nasty? How is something that eats the insides out of dead animals (from the inside out...just tap on the side of a puffed up dead cow and see if several possums don't escape out the same orifice they entered......."

Is there a throw up smiley ??? LOL icon_eek.gif

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:41pm
post #18 of 37

I think he's adorable!!!!

CakeRx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRx Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:50pm
post #19 of 37

Hi all-- just clicked on this thread and had to comment. We raise showhorses in the country so have LOTS of encounters with both opossums (yep, most people don't know it really begins wtih an 'O') and raccoons. Opossums are scavengers, like raccoons, (both can carry disease) but there is an element to their urine that can be deadly to livestock, particularly horses. Since both animals are attracted to the grain that inevitably falls to the ground, we have quite a problem with them. It is funny to watch an opossum "play dead." They're very good at it! Raccoons look cute, too, until they try to bite your finger off when you transport a cage. (DH traps them and releases them into the woods far, far away). They're vicious. (But we all probably know cute PEOPLE who are, too! icon_smile.gif ) Living here is also the first time I've seen an armadillo that wasn't dead by the side of the road!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:16pm
post #20 of 37

armadillo.....'possum on the half shell!

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:27pm
post #21 of 37

I think it's really sweet. I go running every morning and almost step on top of a family of skunks. I don't think I'll stick around to get a pic of them though.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:57pm
post #22 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by loulou2

My cat had had two surgeries thanks to a possum. Cat lives outside. possum steals food, cat fights back, possum wins & I pay the vet to patch her up!!

I had a problem with that before, but I was dumb enough to intervene and got bitten by the cat for my trouble. It was a really deep bite and it got massively infected (didn't want to go to the doc because sometimes there's some fuss when you go for an animal bite).

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:14pm
post #23 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

just curious...how are raccoons nasty? How is something that eats the insides out of dead animals (from the inside out...just tap on the side of a puffed up dead cow and see if several possums don't escape out the same orifice they entered...the things one sees living on a farm in Texas...) not as nasty as a raccoon? The raccoons were happy if they could score something out of the trash can....

Raccoons are nasty, vicious creatures. They dig around in garbage cans. They'll snarl, bite, swipe to scratch/cut, and carry disease. If you get bitten by one, unless it's caught, you can look forward to rabies treatments. So many of them live in cities now, it's even more dangerous as they aren't afraid of people (or cars).

On the possum side of things ... One morning I was walking back home from taking the kids to school. There was a light rain, so I had my umbrella up. I crossed the road to our side, and noticed our neighbours (back across the street) were doing some work to the front of their house, so I stopped to look. I noticed something in the flower bed, and thought "What a strange looking garden ornament". Then, it ran away! It was the biggest possum I had every seen, and I swear she was pregnant. Didn't see it after that, but told the neighbours. The said they had seen it as well. Haven't seen anything of it since, though. Oh, and another neighbour had a momma skunk and 8 babies - and the humane society wouldn't take them away until the babies were old enough to leave momma. Neighbourhood smelled so wonderful for a couple of months - and so did the neighbour's dog.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:16pm
post #24 of 37

BTW: I grew up eating deer, moose, bear, duck - my dad was a wild game hunter. And I have cousins that grew up in the Yukon who ate cariboo and elk. You eat what you're used to - what's native to your area.

Texas_Rose Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:19pm
post #25 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

BTW: I grew up eating deer, moose, bear, duck - my dad was a wild game hunter. And I have cousins that grew up in the Yukon who ate cariboo and elk. You eat what you're used to - what's native to your area.

That's true...I've know people who, if they hit a deer, take the deer home for meat.

My old cookbooks have recipes for all kinds of things we don't really eat anymore...rabbits, possums, squirrel, etc...

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:30pm
post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

That's true...I've know people who, if they hit a deer, take the deer home for meat.

My old cookbooks have recipes for all kinds of things we don't really eat anymore...rabbits, possums, squirrel, etc...

I have a friend in Newfoundland who, many years ago, had an encounter with a moose. It hit the car - the moose won. While Claude was in the hospital recovering (his wife and son were fine), his then 5 yr. old son asked him if they got to keep the moose!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:33pm
post #27 of 37

OKAY! I knew I should have stopped reading this thread when I saw it talking about wild anilmals. I'm very much a Cali girl...FROM THE CITY!!!!!!!!! So to the Assuie (and others) I do think every other meat is gross except for fish, chicken, beef, pork, and lamb. I know, I know. I now live in the good 'ol South and when I first started hearing people talk about hunting I thought they were joking, cause that was only something I saw on t.v. And yes, I do believe they may hunt in California, but I've never seen or heard of it. And Texas-Rose you would have laughed at the look on my face when a very good friend of mine (big time hunter) told me the night him and his father hit a deer in their truck...and then threw it in the back! -icon_surprised.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:47pm
post #28 of 37

Some of the people who I know who do it don't have much money and apparently there's a lot of meat on a deer if you know how to butcher it, so they can freeze it all and eat meat when they usually wouldn't be able to.

We hit a deer once. It was already dead and was in the middle of the exit ramp on the expressway and there was no way to go around it without hitting concrete, so my husband ran right over it. And there were pieces stuck in the undercarriage of the car, that were getting BBQ'd from the heat of the car. It was beyond gross. Guess who had to clean it up because hubby wanted to wait for later? those things do not improve with time.

Anyhow, there's no way I will ever eat deer meat after that...but I'm not knocking those who do.

staten93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staten93 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:05pm
post #29 of 37

I am not a fan of possums or racoons for that matter. I grew up on a farm and the possums and raccoons would try to get in with the chickens. One time I tried to scare a possum away from my 4-H chickens and the stupid thing turned on me and chased me up a tree. They have nasty teeth and are gross-sorry to offend all you possom lovers out there. Raccoons are very cute, but very aggresive-they will kill a dog if they have a chance. We have lost several cats to them over the years and had a few banged up dogs. They are very smart and clever animals though.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:08pm
post #30 of 37

It is NOT disgusting! I've always thought it was cute!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%