Tuggy's Turrets In Castle Cake Help

Decorating By AKA_cupcakeshoppe Updated 30 Aug 2009 , 6:22am by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 8:21am
post #1 of 14

I'm thinking of making a castle cake for my niece's 2nd birthday next month and I stumbled upon Tuggy's beautifully made castle cake right here

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=20227

I love how she made the turrets and mentioned cookies. I love how they're not perfect cones and have a whimsical quality to them. Has anyone tried this look before? Please give me tips on how to achieve it. I think this cake is so precious.

Thank you all!

13 replies
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 8:23am
post #2 of 14

uh-oh I just realized, does turrets mean those pink roof thingies? I hope it does cause that's what I'm asking help for. TIA!

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:46am
post #3 of 14

I think you'll find they are just modelled fondant. I did them on my castle cake with fondant (not modelling fondant or gumpaste, just fondant).
http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1430029

I wanted mine a bit chunky. I found a demonstration on you-tube and they'd used the fondant.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:54am
post #4 of 14

Thanks Melnick! Is that hollow inside or solid? If it's solid, was it heavy?

Melnick Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 10:46am
post #5 of 14

The turrets aren't that big so they aren't too heavy. I did hollow out the bottom a little - I just pushed my thumb into it. I think the ones on those cakes look like they're are hollowed out a bit too. My towers were made of cake (actually just the mini jam rollettes) covered in fondant so they supported it easily and I just pushed a couple of toothpicks through to keep it in place. I have seen some towers made out of gumpaste - they put a round disk on top to support the weight so I imagine they would hold it too.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 10:52am
post #6 of 14

I was thinking of using cake too! Am glad you have tried it. It would give more support I think too. icon_smile.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:57pm
post #7 of 14

Melnick a question I forgot. How did you dry the turrets?

Melnick Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 10:31pm
post #8 of 14

I didn't dry the turrets. But the fondant I used would have dried quite easily had I left them out for 3 or 4 days. I use Bakels but I suspect it is only available in Australia.

jocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jocakes Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 8:41pm
post #9 of 14

the turrets are the pointy bits on top and are just molded fondant I think, Debbie Brown does some very similar ones in her book that are just fondant.

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 9:10pm
post #10 of 14

There was another thread going about the towers. In it, it mentions using cupcakes for the towers. This is the link to the thread:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-649113.html

You'll find a link to another site for a method of making tall cupcakes....
Maybe that would work for what you want, too. At least for the towers... looks like kind of a neat way of doing it!

HTH
good luck thumbs_up.gif

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 7:30pm
post #11 of 14

when i make turrets i make a cone out of light cardboard and cover it in cling wrap. i cover with modeling paste and shape the points into a shape i like and then let dry for 24 hours on the card then i remove the card and leave to dry on its own for another day.this leaves them hollow and light weight and can be placed ontop of hollow or cake filled towers. icon_smile.gif

saracupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saracupcake Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 8:23pm
post #12 of 14

I make these little turrets quite often, I make them solid, so they are quite heavy. I've just posted one I made today.

It was really wet here today and I'd made the a tower out of gumpaste yesterday (I should have made it at the beginning of the week!) so when I delivered the cake I put the pointy top on the side, I'd made an indent in it so it was easy for my customer to place on at the last minute.

Normally I make everything early enough so it has a few days to dry and even though it's heavy I've never had any problems.

Sara

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 11:17pm
post #13 of 14

You could totally stack up oreo's and fill in the ridges with royal or BC and cover in fondant.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 6:22am
post #14 of 14

wow i replied tot his and didn't post?

thanks for the awesome ideas everyone.

i have thought about sugarbloom's tall cupcakes and i'm gonna go that route for the towers.

sadsmile, oreos... YUMMY!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%