Salted Buttercream??

Decorating By lynda-bob Updated 31 Aug 2009 , 1:05am by Kimmers971

lynda-bob Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:57am
post #1 of 17

Has anyone ever made buttercream w/ shortening and Salted butter? Did it taste horrible or change the consistency?

16 replies
JanH Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:01am
post #2 of 17

Yes I have, and no it didn't. icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:21am
post #3 of 17

Same here.

DsLady614 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:30am
post #4 of 17

Yup! I always use salted butter. Can't tell there is salt in it at all. If anything, all that little bit of salt does is cut the sweetness of the finished product a little..

erinalicia Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:59pm
post #5 of 17

I always use salted butter, but on the rare occasion that the store is out and only has unsalted I add a pinch of salt to the shortening and butter as it is creaming and it doesn't affect the texture at all. I like my icing better with the salt. To me it tastes bland without it.

DeeDelightful Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:05pm
post #6 of 17

Using salted is a great idea, or a combination of salted/unsalted. It cuts the sweetness of the powdered sugar. Works just fine.

costumeczar Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:17pm
post #7 of 17

In confectioner's sugar buttercream the salted butter is fine, but in meringue buttercreams salted butter tastes horrible!

JanH Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 5:16am
post #8 of 17

Think personal flavor preference plays a large role in which recipes you choose, as there are popular CC MBC recipes that use salted or some salted butter. Although the majority of MBC recipes specify unsalted.icon_smile.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2426-Italian-Meringue-Buttercream--Shirleys-Method.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6927-Very-Vanilla-Swiss-Meringue-Buttercream.html

HTH

matthewkyrankelly Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 5:30am
post #9 of 17

Always use salted as well. I think people prefer it. The occasional salt free person will detect it in anything. In the quantities it is found in butter it is merely a flavor enhancer. A stick of butter has about 3/8 tsp salt.

Sassy74 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 5:16pm
post #10 of 17

Unsalted makes my BC taste too sweet, so I always use it...love it!

lynda-bob Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 6:59pm
post #11 of 17

Thank you everybody. I wasn't getting notification thru email, so I just found your answers. I'm off to go make some buttercream icon_smile.gif

dailey Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 7:50pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

In confectioner's sugar buttercream the salted butter is fine, but in meringue buttercreams salted butter tastes horrible!

i used to used salted butter in smbc all the time and thought it tasted just fine. *then* i tried it with unsalted butter and, wow, it taste *so* much better!

Shelle_75 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 8:04pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstar_pilot

Yup! I always use salted butter. Can't tell there is salt in it at all. If anything, all that little bit of salt does is cut the sweetness of the finished product a little..

Same here!
thumbs_up.gif

CanadianChick Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 8:19pm
post #14 of 17

I salt my buttercream rather heavily, to be honest.

I use a variation on the Wilton buttercream, but use a LOT more salt than the recipe calls for. It really cuts the sweetness, and only tastes salty if you're trying to taste it. I find it also emphasizes whatever flavouring I've used.

I get a lot of compliments on how much less sweet my buttercream is compared to most others, and it's because of the salt.

If I'm colouring it, I use a mix of butter and crisco, if I'm leaving it white, all crisco...and always salt.

cakesdivine Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 1:30am
post #15 of 17

I ONLY use salted butter in my BC. It gives it more depth and flavor. The addition of an ounce or 2 of softened cream cheese gives it an even deeper butter bite! I want to taste butter in my buttercream...In my opinion it really isn't butter cream unless it has real butter in it and salted butter gives that little something extra that will make people want to eat it like icecream!

1234me Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 1:03am
post #16 of 17

I only use salted buttercream too!

Kimmers971 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 1:05am
post #17 of 17

I use salted butter in everything and see no difference in taste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%