For Those Who Have Taken Wilton Courses....

Decorating By selfconclusion12 Updated 27 Aug 2009 , 6:30pm by xstitcher

selfconclusion12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
selfconclusion12 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:46am
post #1 of 20

I am taking wilton courses at AC Moore starting in September. I have a few questions.

Course two starts the day before course one. Would it be stupid to take both at the same time? I have been decorating for about a year now but am dying to take classes.

They are having %40 off classes in September so I want to hop on it!

Second question, how much do they make you buy? I need to make sure I go with enough money and stuff....

Thanks so much everyone!

19 replies
OMGitsaLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OMGitsaLisa Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:13am
post #2 of 20

I haven't yet taken course 2 so I don't know how heavy the load will be. Course 1, however, requires that you bring a cake to class every week. I probably wouldn't take both of the first classes at the same time, but that's coming from someone who had not previously been decorating for that long before I signed up. I would have been overwhelmed, but you may already know the techniques they present in course 1. It's just using the star tip, writing, wilton roses, drop flowers, sweat peas, and shell border. Oh, and piping ruffly clown bodies. If you've been going for a year, you may already know all this stuff so it may not be an issue for you.

As for how much you have to buy, it's definitely more than in the first student kit. I also had to buy parchment triangles, meringue powder, piping gel, extra bags, stupid ugly clown heads, and some other stuff I can't remember. You may already have most of the basics on hand, though.

I personally wouldn't take both at the same time, but with a year's worth of experience under your belt, you could probably just skip course 1 all together unless you actually haven't done some of the techniques in it (which I may have skipped a few).

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:57am
post #3 of 20

I think if your comfortable icing/torting your cake. Know how to pipe stars, shell borders, drop flowers, dots, sweat peas, leaves, bows, vines, make bc roses then and can make icing then you probably won't need course 1. Although it never hurts to take the class again as you could possibly pick up a thing or two along the way. As for buying extra things besides the kit I honestly don't remember since I did the course in the spring of 2008. I can tell you though that I did not buy any parchment paper nor the clown heads. I did however buy the box of disposable bags and meringue powder but I've used them since and probably would have purchased them anyway.

For course 1 you have to take bc icing and an iced cake to 3 of the 4 classes (you don't need this for the 1st class).

Course 2 is mostly learning how to make RI flowers, using colorflow, learning how to do a rope border and basketweave with BC icing. You only need to bring a iced cake to the final class but will need RI icing for 3 of the classes and extra BC icing to do the rope border and basketweave for the final class.

If your not familiar with any of this or think you might benefit by going then go ahead and take the classes.

selfconclusion12 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:58am
post #4 of 20

Thanks so much! I do have a lot of stuff already so I think I will be okay and just have to buy a few things.

Maybe I will just take course one, and start course two next month if they have it?

Thanks!!

casmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casmom Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:29am
post #5 of 20

selfconclusion12, where in NJ are you? i live in hudson county & will also take wilton course 1 at ACMoore.. i've only been doing cakes for 3 months but took fondant class 2 months ago.. i've been doing some stuff with fondant mostly, but never with buttercream (piping and all that).. that's why i wanted to take the class.. see what's going on there..

this is my first time posting on a blog.. i'm kinda new to the whole thing.. so still a bit confused..

RachieRach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachieRach Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:42am
post #6 of 20

Self, I think you are wise to take them separately. If nothing else, it will give you time to really enjoy each one. Although you dont have to bake a lot of cakes for course 2, there is a lot of homework. Also the courses go by so quickly. I've taken course 1, 2 and the fondant course. I'm hoping to take course 3 this fall (it is hard to find wilton courses in nyc).

Enjoy!!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:21pm
post #7 of 20

I would definitely take the classes separately. That way you can focus on each class. Plus there is a lot of stuff that you have to pack up and then take out and you have to practice. It gets a little hectice. Once a week was good.

loulou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou2 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:39pm
post #8 of 20

As an instructor I would suggest taking the classes in different months. You will get overwhelmed with back to back classes & besides 1 uses buttercream & 2 uses RI so its not like you don't need to make anything to take to your 2nd class. You will get much more out of the classes if you pace yourself. Also you can take the classes in any order after you've done course 1.
Have fun icon_biggrin.gif

luvbugcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbugcreations Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:40pm
post #9 of 20

Hi

I am a former Wilton Instructor. Only reason I don't do this anymore is due to health reasons. I would say of you have been decorating for a little bit of time it would be ok to do both at same time. I am self taught and did this as a hobby in my spare time. I also was a general manager for a restaurant, privately owned and I used to make all dessert for the restaurant. I aquired alot of my clients from this. I now do cakes from my home. All kinds wedding, Kids etc. I love it. If you need any help just ask me. I love teaching and sharing.

Have fun
kerri
Luvbug Creations

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:51pm
post #10 of 20

I agree with everyone else, Two classes at a time will be very hectic, take the time to concentrate on one class at a time, especially if you have kids at home, not to mention a job, house work and all those other things, I looked at your ( pics) and you seem to be doing a great job for someone that has not taken any classes, if you already know how to make roses, pipe borders, and all the other things mention above, I would suggest you just purchase the coures one book and work from it yourself, when you have the time, Unless you would like to receive a course one certificate, the piping bags were cool, but I perferred the disposable bags,

kaddikakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaddikakes Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:13pm
post #11 of 20

When attending the Wilton courses do they make you buy the kit that is available. I have already bought Course 1 kit a Michaels (I forget for how much), but I don't want to pay the $27.00 for the class and then have to pay again for the kit OR is the kit included in the $27.00 class fee? Just wondering. I want to take the classes also but can't find one that suits my time schedule.

Caralinc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caralinc Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:30pm
post #12 of 20

Hi all,

As an Instructor and former student I suggest only one Course a month. Especially with Course 1 as Course 1 requires an Iced cake each week. Course 1 would be a lot of work w/ Course 2 with making the cake, 3 batches of buttercream and royal icing each week and with all the required flowers that are made at home for the final cakes for each Course.

Also, by taking one Course at a time you will allow yourself to focus and practice one set of skills at a time and perfect them before the next step.

The Fee of the Course is a separate cost from the supplies. Use your store cpn to buy the Course Kits. Each month there is usually a Wilton Promotion going on either 40%- 50% off (in my area any).

Good luck and have fun!!

Caralinc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caralinc Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:33pm
post #13 of 20

Marybeth09 - If you already have the Course 1 Kit you will not be required to buy another one. As long as you have all of the tools required to work with you will be fine. Have Fun. You will find the Courses very helpful and they provide a great foundation.

megmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megmarie Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:41pm
post #14 of 20

I agree! If you are working a regular 9-5 and then taking the class right after work, taking two classes at once is going to be hell! Between making the cakes, making all the icing, all the dishes and practice time (I didn't want to make an ugly rose infront of everyone lol) I spent hours at home preparing for the two hour weekly class.

I haven't decorated before so I found course one really helpful, my teacher had a lot of great tips that were not in the course books. I am really excited to start course two in a few weeks

selfconclusion12 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:31pm
post #15 of 20

Thanks so much everyone. I am not very good at roses so that is why I decided to take course 1, plus I am sure I would very much enjoy it! I do not work, or have kids...so that is why I thought I would do two at the same time. I just want to bake and decorate all day!!! LOL!!

Thanks for all your replies!!

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:46pm
post #16 of 20

One class at a time. I took both back to back years ago, and there were still specials for the class then. Always will be. We got a coupon for the next class in each course also.

CakeRx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRx Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:55pm
post #17 of 20

I've not had the fortune to be able to attend any Wilton courses-- completely self taught, which is why I love CC so much! When I signed up for class one years ago, my husband was transferred before the class started. When I attempted another course after I began making cakes, I had to drive an hour to get there, only to find that they had posted the class time wrong and it was actually at a time that i wasn't able to be there. I do have the books, though. It's all practice, practice!

xstitcher Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:42pm
post #18 of 20

I forgot to mention but I think Caralinc did. Use a coupon to buy your kits (or other larger items). You can usually get 40% off, sometimes even 50%. Go to acmoore.com and print off any coupons that might be available. You can also call AC Moore and find out if they take competitors coupons (like Michaels/Joanne's) and see if they have any current coupons available.

http://www.acmoore.com/e-acm.StoreLocator.aspx

If your not going to busy with other things in your life and have the time to make all the things you need for class (with time for homework for RI flowers if you don't finish them in class) then go ahead and take both. I'm a stay at home mom but at the time my youngest was 3 months old and not sleeping properly at all and I home schooled my oldest and watched the other 2 as well. I know doing just course 1 only once a week was extremely hectic for me. Course 2 though wasn't as bad (except that I didn't have my KA yet and I burned out my first couple of hand mixers icon_lol.gif )

Have fun!

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:01pm
post #19 of 20

I took all 3 thru the local college. It was great! I learned so much more than I could have from just buying the kits and being self-taught. My instructor has been doing cakes for many years and had tons of little tidbits to pass along. And it's just plain smart to have a expert around to show you exactly how it's done. Frankly, the pics in the Wilton books have been airbrushed, so it can be disappointing to work on something and have it NOT turn out like the picture. Better to be reassured by someone who's been there.

xstitcher Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:30pm
post #20 of 20

It's great when you can get a knowledgeable instructor that knows their stuff (and has plenty of experience to back it up) and can teach but that's not always the case. Some of the instructors can apply to teach right after finishing course (with no previous experience).

I've personally have had a hit and miss experience with my instructors (I've moved a couple of times since I started decorating) but if I had to do it again I probably would anyway as it's fun getting out with others that have an interest in the same thing as you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%