Raspberry Filling For Wasc

Decorating By idgalpal Updated 28 Aug 2009 , 3:21pm by MrsAB

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:19am
post #1 of 18

Can someone share some raspberry filling idea for WASC wedding cake. I've made raspberry cream filling before and it's always good, but I was thinking more of a jam/preserve kind of filling.

17 replies
LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:46am
post #2 of 18

I just use polaner's seedless raspberry preserves. I get it at my Cracker Barrell Old Country Store.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:47am
post #3 of 18

any good raspberry jam or spread is great with lots of cakes. hth

idgalpal Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 18

Do I just spread it on the cake right out of the jar? I bought a jar of raspberry preserves, should I strain the seeds first? TIA

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 18

I would just get a jar of the seedless raspberry preserves instead of messing with straining the one you have. I put a thin layer of buttercream down, and then top it with the raspberry preserves right out of the jar.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:02pm
post #6 of 18

I nuke a jar of seedless jam for a minute and mix with raspberry jello. Stir (the grit disappears) and put back in the fridge to firm back up. I do that with strawberry also. Just make sure you get the seedless jams.

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:10pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jardot22

I would just get a jar of the seedless raspberry preserves instead of messing with straining the one you have. I put a thin layer of buttercream down, and then top it with the raspberry preserves right out of the jar.

ditto what jardot22 said! Delicious, easy and looks great when sliced icon_smile.gif

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:10pm
post #8 of 18

I buy the sleeves of raspberry filling. They go a long way and are reasonably priced. They are not as overly sweet as some of the jams.

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:15pm
post #9 of 18

what is the ratio of jello to jam? just one full envelope stirred right into one avg. size jar?

PuffCake Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:17pm
post #10 of 18

The brand of seedless raspberry preserves I use is Dickinson's found in the jam/jelly aisle of the supermarket.

Caralinc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caralinc Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:38pm
post #11 of 18

I just recently made the following Raspberry Filling and found it very easy to make. It was my first time making it and came out great!!! I received great ravs on it as well. They loved it!!

You can find it in the Recipes - Raspberry Filling by Merissa

I tweaked an Emeril recipe for this. I was on the hunt for a homemade raspberry filling that didnt soak into the cake.
I have used this on a white cake without a thin coat of buttercream and it does not soak.

2 12 ounce packages of frozen raspberries (not packed in syrup)

1 1/3 cups water

1 1/2-2 cups granulated sugar (or to taste. 2 cups will be pretty sweet)

2 T of lemon juice (optional)

5-6 T of cornstarch dissolved in 1/2 cup of water

In a saucepan combine the raspberries, water, sugar, and lemon juice. Bring to boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the raspberries have broken down. Remove the mixture from the heat and strain with a fine mesh sieve. Return the stained mixture to the heat. Dissolve the cornstarch in 1/2 cup of water. Whisk the slurry into the raspberry mixture. Bring the mixture back to a boil and simmer for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and cool completely. It will take awhile to set up. It will thicken like a jelly. May stir it for easier spreading on cake.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:49pm
post #12 of 18

Sugarmoma...yes, I use one jar of jam to one box of jello. And just a recommendation....when I put a jelly/jam type of filling on my cakes, I find it to soak in and get soggy to me. Some people like it but I don't. So I read (on CC) to put a thin layer of BC down first (after making a dam, of course) to keep the jellied type of fillings from soaking into the cake.

mommabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabear Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:05pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caralinc

I just recently made the following Raspberry Filling and found it very easy to make. It was my first time making it and came out great!!! I received great ravs on it as well. They loved it!!

You can find it in the Recipes - Raspberry Filling by Merissa

I tweaked an Emeril recipe for this. I was on the hunt for a homemade raspberry filling that didnt soak into the cake.
I have used this on a white cake without a thin coat of buttercream and it does not soak.

2 12 ounce packages of frozen raspberries (not packed in syrup)

1 1/3 cups water

1 1/2-2 cups granulated sugar (or to taste. 2 cups will be pretty sweet)

2 T of lemon juice (optional)

5-6 T of cornstarch dissolved in 1/2 cup of water

In a saucepan combine the raspberries, water, sugar, and lemon juice. Bring to boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the raspberries have broken down. Remove the mixture from the heat and strain with a fine mesh sieve. Return the stained mixture to the heat. Dissolve the cornstarch in 1/2 cup of water. Whisk the slurry into the raspberry mixture. Bring the mixture back to a boil and simmer for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and cool completely. It will take awhile to set up. It will thicken like a jelly. May stir it for easier spreading on cake.

This is the recipe I use also, and it really does not soak through. Everyone that has tried it loved it.

Caralinc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caralinc Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:09pm
post #14 of 18

mommabear, Great point! No it did not soak through the cakes or sides.

idgalpal Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:23pm
post #15 of 18

Thank you all for the great information! I will stop at Cracker Barrel on my way home from work and get the seedless jam.
I was wondering about a butter cream layer and dam, so thanks for confirming that!

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 3:03pm
post #16 of 18

I want to try the recipe for raspberry filling mentioned here by caralinc. I will of course pipe a stiff icing dam, but I don't know how thickly to spread the filling. I've never used a fruit filling before. Any suggestions? Will there be any danger of the layers slipping and sliding?

PuffCake Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 3:10pm
post #17 of 18

Just make sure the filling isn't higher than your dam. I've never had slips or slides. I think your stiff dam will hold things firmly in place icon_smile.gif

MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 3:21pm
post #18 of 18

Great recipes. Looking forward to trying.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%