Cake W/the Stuff Coming Out Of The Top?

Decorating By epettit Updated 29 Oct 2010 , 11:07pm by Arabus

epettit Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:16am
post #1 of 4

I want to make a cake with the stars or something comming out of the top or have like danggly stuff hanging down. How can i do that. I tried once, but i didnt do something right and it messed up my icing.

3 replies
suzylynn58 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:34am
post #2 of 4

When I do cakes like that, I stick drinking straws into the cake and then put my wires into the straws. You have to put several wires into each straw for them to be stable. Did I explain that clearly? LOL!

Susan

NatalieMarie Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:34am
post #3 of 4

There's 2 ways of doing this. You can either buy a posy pick and put it in the cake and this is where you insert your wires. You can also do a starburst cake which is where the fondant folds back like it has exploded and the wires are then inserted directly into the cake. If you do it like this make sure the wire you use has no lead in it.
To make an explosion you make two circles of fondant and place them in the middle of the cake laying them on top of eachother. Brush the top of the top circle with syrup (not water) and then lay on the fondant. Where the circle is, make 4 incisions to quarter the circle and carefully peel back the fondant. Then place the wires into the cake and fill the space with dragees.
Here is my first attempt. I hope these instructions make sense!!
LL

Arabus Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 11:07pm
post #4 of 4

thanks Natalie hope i can pull this off going to make one at the weekend.xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%