It's Only August!

Lounge By AverageMom Updated 3 Sep 2009 , 4:47pm by maryjsgirl

AverageMom Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:10am
post #1 of 42

I just had a phone call from a parent. I taught her son last year, and well, he failed my class. She wanted to know (today) why. Was it because he tossed his "Real Care Baby" into the trash can? Well, no. Was it because he had "bad friends"? Again, not the deciding factor. Is there anything he can do (now?) to pass? Finally, a question I could answer! Yes! He can pass! When he REPEATS THE COURSE.
School doesn't start for another week. It's going to be a long winter.

41 replies
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:33am
post #2 of 42

lol. Maybe she just now managed to wade through the sea of papers that are sent home from schools.
My girls are only in Kindergarten and preschool and I get at least 5 pieces of paper sent home every day. I cannot even imagine how that pile is going to grow as they get older. For goodness sake I got 5 birthday invites just this Monday. And they have only been in school for 1 week!

AverageMom Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:46am
post #3 of 42

The papers! I know! The good news is, by high school it tapers off. I'm also lucky in that my kids attend a school that gives us a "paper-free" option. They e-mail me all the important stuff, and each classroom teacher keeps a folder of school work for each student. At the end of each term they send home the folder.

veronica720 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:51am
post #4 of 42

Wow "paper-free" that would be so awesome.

I don't understand why she didn't want to know a couple of months ago when school let out.

My daughter had homework on the second day of school, so I can tell the year will be he**, she is in fourth grade.

AverageMom Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:58am
post #5 of 42

Veronica, I don't know why she wasn't interested before today, either. I'm guessing that she just got his schedule for this year, and noticed that hey! He has to repeat the course!
Last year, while her son was in my class, I called her repeatedly. I emailed her. I never EVER heard back. ARGHH!!

Homework in grade FOUR? Don't get me started. I totally disagree with the concept of homework at that age.

redpanda Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:59am
post #6 of 42

The only reasons I can think of why she didn't get in touch with you earlier is if maybe she truly didn't know about the grade until after school got out for the summer and she didn't want to bother you during the middle of your vacation. Or, maybe the family went away as soon as school got out, and she didn't get back until this week. Finally, she may procrastinate and not deal with unpleasant things if she can avoid it. (DH is like that.)

I would say she didn't know how to get in touch with you outside of school, but since she did so this week, that can't be it.

Paper-free sounds so nice. Class information is available online, for the most part. However, the 8 million fund-raisers all have paperwork, catalogs, etc.

I used to have time/money...now I have a son in theater, concert choir, speech & debate...

I don't know whether this is common elsewhere, but in my son's school district, it is common for honors and AP classes to have summer homework. For example, in his English class, he had to read The Scarlet Letter and write reading journal entries for each chapter.

Texas_Rose Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:07am
post #7 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageMom

Homework in grade FOUR? Don't get me started. I totally disagree with the concept of homework at that age.

My daughter is in 2nd grade and she had homework today, the 3rd day of school. She also got her reading log already and we noticed that it has the weekends on it too.

mcaulir Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:14am
post #8 of 42

Schools have to send home 3 million pieces of paper (or 3 million emails) so that parents don't come and say, "I didn't know about xxxx." I can't tell you the number of times parents have done that to me or people I have taught with, and we were able to say, "No, a note went home about that on xx date."

Whether homework is good at a young age or not is open for debate, but why should it not be set from the first day of school? Start as you mean to go on is my motto.

AverageMom Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:03am
post #9 of 42

The mom in question certainly knew her son's mark before school ended in June. I think it just didn't register with her what it meant. Oh well....we're on the same page now! A lot of parents don't realize passing my class is a REQUIREMENT for graduating. Even if you have to try 3 times, you must pass!
My daughter is going into grade 2, my son into kindergarten. I feel that their lives are busy enough without doing school work in the evenings. They both read for at least half an hour a night, and we as a family "study" and "research" whatever subject catches their interest.
In my opinion, and it is ONLY my opinion, childhood should not be spent doing forced school work. The time and place for that is during the school day, with the teacher. They need a break, too! Imagine if we were all sent home from our workplaces with a required hour of extra work every night!

saffronica Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:16am
post #10 of 42

My daughter had homework last year...when she was THREE and in PRESCHOOL!!!

prterrell Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:09am
post #11 of 42

I had homework in first grade, even had to do book reports, that was 25 years ago.

Auryn Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:59pm
post #12 of 42

Wow, great parenting on that woman's behalf, sheesh.

I have to say I don't mind a little bit of homework when they are little, like maybe reading story books or a little math, I'm talking like maybe 30 min max and as you get older the amount of time increases. I don't think that second graders should have 2 hours of homework every night.
Im 27 now, I did all my primary school in Italy and over there (it still happens today because my 11 year old cousin is visiting so I see it first hand), they give you summer homework for most subjects. You have a workbook and maybe a reading book that must be completed before you return to school in September and the grade applies to your incoming year.
Its a way to keep the kids' brains from becoming stagnant during the summer vacation.

AverageMom Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:07pm
post #13 of 42

Wow....I guess I'm alone in my hatred of The Homework! That's okay. And I know that there will soon be a day when I am fighting to get my own kids to do their homework. I'm just glad it's not yet! They are still young enough to think it's fun. Wait till they get to high school and have to live through the horror of being my students!
"Arghhh! My mom is teaching us about SEX again!!!"

LaBellaFlor Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:39pm
post #14 of 42

I'm not surprise, just sad. I'm always amazed at the inefficiency and cluelessness of some parents. You didn't see your kid about to fail? Come on, whats wrong with you as a parent. My daughter's 5th grade class had got so out of hand that they lost a lot of their 5th grade priveledges. Kids literally had not turn in ONE single homework assignment and here shcool is 2/3 done. My daughter was a straight 4 student, on top of her school projects. Why? Cause I used to ask her about school. Well the 5th grade teachers decide to have a meeting with the 5th grade parents. Can I say ghetto! All they kept saying was whats the motivation for the kids to do their work if they were not going to get rewards for it? They just were attacking the teachers. I finall had to say,"I'm not here for my daughter, cause she is passing and gets all her 5th grade privledges. I'm here for your kids. And when your kids don't turn in homework the entire school year, they don't deserve anything. You know what they should be happy to get right now at this point if they start doing their work? They get to pass into middle school". That shut a lot of parents up...and it got me some dirty looks. But so what, some parents attitude towards their children's education can be just so ridiculous!

prterrell Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 1:34am
post #15 of 42

I find it incredibly sad that so many people view education as an inconvenience.

AverageMom Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 5:05am
post #16 of 42

In other parts of the world, children understand the gift of education. Here, for some reason, it is a "necessary evil" in the minds of many.

-Tubbs Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 1:17pm
post #17 of 42
Quote:

Wow....I guess I'm alone in my hatred of The Homework!

No, you're not. I also hate it for the sake of 'busywork'. I don't mind if they bring something home that didn't get done in class, or a project, and we always read in the evening. But when young kids are spending 2-3 hours on homework I think it's unhealthy - they should be relaxing, playing, socializing, doing sports, Scouts, reading for fun, anything rather than some of the soul-destroying repetitive stuff they get sent home.

(Sorry, I get a bit passionate about this. One of my sons is LD - he struggles enough with the stuff he has to do in the day, and so when (thankfully pretty rarely) he gets a big chunk of HW, it just about kills him.)

AverageMom Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 5:32pm
post #18 of 42

Thank you, Tubbs! That is what I was trying to say, but you put it into better words than I did.
I never assign homework. I teach high school. True, I am not teaching an academic course, so it's a bit easier for me to get away with! I tell the students that they will only have homework from me if it is something they do not finish in class.
A lot of my students have jobs, or children of their own. They have homework from all their other classes. The least I can do is make the burden a bit lighter.

FullMoonRanch Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 7:06pm
post #19 of 42

You are not alone AverageMom! My second grader and I fight daily about getting the homework done. We spent 3 hours one day when she was in Kindergarten getting her homework done! Last year I was suprised to find out if they have P.E. that day, they don't have recess! Her school also gives out summer homework. If they get it done they do get rewarded with an in school party they call 'The Big Bash'. We did not have much trouble getting the summer work done but she is already fighting me with the daily homework. icon_sad.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 7:16pm
post #20 of 42

We had a list of suggested homework for the summer. It wasn't mandatory so we didn't do it. Instead, every night my daughter had to read her little sister a book, and after that we would read a few pages from the Chronicles of Narnia together. She played learning games on the computer too.

I think the real issue with homework is not that we don't value education, but that most of us feel that if a child puts in 8 hours a day at school, that should be enough for the day. When a child is not the quickest person at doing homework, even with parent's help, it's easy to run out of time for any free time or activities, between homework, reading, eating dinner, taking a bath, and then the really early bedtime that my kids need in order to be able to face waking up early. I hate feeling like I'm making my little person work from sunrise to sunset with no time for play.

-Tubbs Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 7:25pm
post #21 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I think the real issue with homework is not that we don't value education, but that most of us feel that if a child puts in 8 hours a day at school, that should be enough for the day.

Yes, yes, yes!! Don't you feel that by doing this, it's encouraging kids to become adults who always bring work home from the office and never really switch off? Not healthy at all, IMO.

Texas_Rose Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 7:29pm
post #22 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbsCookies

Quote:

I think the real issue with homework is not that we don't value education, but that most of us feel that if a child puts in 8 hours a day at school, that should be enough for the day.

Yes, yes, yes!! Don't you feel that by doing this, it's encouraging kids to become adults who always bring work home from the office and never really switch off? Not healthy at all, IMO.

Or to get burned out and drop out of school or get pregnant so they can't go anymore (not that my kids are old enough for either of those thank goodness).

I've had a job before that took every hour I was awake. When I quit, I decided I would never do anything that took that much of my time and energy. I have been broke ever since but at least I have time for my family and my hobbies.

diane Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 8:03pm
post #23 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

I find it incredibly sad that so many people view education as an inconvenience.

ditto thumbs_up.gif

schools have become a babysitting ground to some parents. icon_cool.gif

mcaulir Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 11:42pm
post #24 of 42

8 hours at school! Wow, I don't know wany schools here that go for 8 hours. Definitely no homework if kids are working for that long!

I think a little bit of homework in the early years is for the purpose of learning how to study so that come secondary school and university, the need to spend some of your own time doesn't come as such a shock. Also, homework gives some parents a way of knowing what their children are doing at school.

I would have never set anything more that 20 minutes a night for 12-year-olds and told parents that if their kids were taking too long to get it done, to stop and write a note. I've even had parents say that homework is such a battle that they didn't want their kids to do it. Fine by me. It's your child. When other kids complained, I'd say, "If your parents don't want you to do it, get them to come and see me." Very few ever did.

-Tubbs Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:11am
post #25 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaulir

8 hours at school! Wow, I don't know wany schools here that go for 8 hours. Definitely no homework if kids are working for that long!

I think a little bit of homework in the early years is for the purpose of learning how to study so that come secondary school and university, the need to spend some of your own time doesn't come as such a shock. Also, homework gives some parents a way of knowing what their children are doing at school.

I would have never set anything more that 20 minutes a night for 12-year-olds and told parents that if their kids were taking too long to get it done, to stop and write a note. I've even had parents say that homework is such a battle that they didn't want their kids to do it. Fine by me. It's your child. When other kids complained, I'd say, "If your parents don't want you to do it, get them to come and see me." Very few ever did.

Some kids sail through their HW (my DD). Both my DSs struggle with it. Thankfully they've had teachers with similar attitudes to yours. I can't believe any teacher really wants kids crying for hours over homework they've set... I do see what you're saying about learning to study independently, though. Good point.

Regarding the hours, yes, my boys get on their bus at 7.30am, and were off again at 4.30 today. That's 9 hours out of the house - as long as a work day. Toooo long, unfortunately, but we have no local schools offering the programs they are in, so we have no choice.

Marina Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:21am
post #26 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

I'm not surprise, just sad. I'm always amazed at the inefficiency and cluelessness of some parents. You didn't see your kid about to fail? Come on, whats wrong with you as a parent. My daughter's 5th grade class had got so out of hand that they lost a lot of their 5th grade priveledges. Kids literally had not turn in ONE single homework assignment and here shcool is 2/3 done. My daughter was a straight 4 student, on top of her school projects. Why? Cause I used to ask her about school. Well the 5th grade teachers decide to have a meeting with the 5th grade parents. Can I say ghetto! All they kept saying was whats the motivation for the kids to do their work if they were not going to get rewards for it? They just were attacking the teachers. I finall had to say,"I'm not here for my daughter, cause she is passing and gets all her 5th grade privledges. I'm here for your kids. And when your kids don't turn in homework the entire school year, they don't deserve anything. You know what they should be happy to get right now at this point if they start doing their work? They get to pass into middle school". That shut a lot of parents up...and it got me some dirty looks. But so what, some parents attitude towards their children's education can be just so ridiculous!

AMEN!!! I work at school and see first hand about parenting. Teachers try to get a hold of parent about child failing, not turning in homework, disciplinary actions, whatever. Parent doesn't return phone calls (1/2 the time the phones are disconnected for the umpteenth time!),BUT heaven forbid you take their recess away for any reason and they are up there in your face!!! icon_mad.gif

AverageMom Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 6:23pm
post #27 of 42

On a slightly related note, I just found out that I am not allowed to have a basket of condoms in my classroom this year. Before you wonder what kind of nutty teacher I am, let me explain!
I teach Planning 10 and Family Studies 12. A huge part of my curriculum is Sex Ed. As a result, I have always had a collection of condoms on a shelf in my room, for students to take. I don't feel I am encouraging them to have sex. They've heard my lectures on pregnancy, STI's, and emotional maturity. BUT I realize that some of them ARE sexually active, and I want them to be safer.
The school council decided last week that I am sending the wrong message. Condoms are now only available in the counsellor's office, and the principal's office, and only if they ask for one.
ARGHHHH! I see a rise in our Teen Parent Centre population in the future!!

Texas_Rose Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 6:39pm
post #28 of 42
Quote:

On a slightly related note, I just found out that I am not allowed to have a basket of condoms in my classroom this year. Before you wonder what kind of nutty teacher I am, let me explain!
I teach Planning 10 and Family Studies 12. A huge part of my curriculum is Sex Ed. As a result, I have always had a collection of condoms on a shelf in my room, for students to take. I don't feel I am encouraging them to have sex. They've heard my lectures on pregnancy, STI's, and emotional maturity. BUT I realize that some of them ARE sexually active, and I want them to be safer.
The school council decided last week that I am sending the wrong message. Condoms are now only available in the counsellor's office, and the principal's office, and only if they ask for one.

I think you're awesome!!!

And most teens are too shy to buy condoms at the store, can you imagine asking the principal for one?! And what if they ask for one, will they get a lecture?

You know, I used to belong to a pregnancy website and I saw tons of questions from teens wanting to know if what they did could get them pregnant, and their ideas for pregnancy prevention when their parents wouldn't let them get birth control...some of those poor kids were so confused. I think it's disgusting that some of the schools here teach abstinence only, instead of teaching about birth control.

-Tubbs Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 1:13pm
post #29 of 42
Quote:

Quote:

I think you're awesome!!!

And most teens are too shy to buy condoms at the store, can you imagine asking the principal for one?! And what if they ask for one, will they get a lecture?

You know, I used to belong to a pregnancy website and I saw tons of questions from teens wanting to know if what they did could get them pregnant, and their ideas for pregnancy prevention when their parents wouldn't let them get birth control...some of those poor kids were so confused. I think it's disgusting that some of the schools here teach abstinence only, instead of teaching about birth control.

Hear, hear!!

mbelgard Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 2:01pm
post #30 of 42

I don't like homework either but our school sends stuff home starting in kindergarten so as a parent it's hard to do much about it.

It is better than many schools because there is a limit in place and they are NOT allowed to send anything home for the weekend. They also don't send much, my first grader has assigned reading and a worksheet most days. I like the reading because that kid hates to read so it's easier on me to be able to tell him that his teacher gave him something than me just telling him he has to read.

I find it funny that my fifth grader doesn't have homework as often as the younger child. Once he hit fourth grade the teachers only send what they don't finish home so he normally has nothing to do.

I think it's terrible that you aren't allowed to have condoms. I'm not a fan of abstinence only and think that if we don't want pregnant kids we should be willing to give them easier access to birth control.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%