Advertising Advice

Business By calamity_clair Updated 6 Sep 2009 , 6:47am by alexj9988

calamity_clair Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:01am
post #1 of 8

Hi All

I am a very small home business, and would like tsome advise on how I could pick up some more business. My work is all word of mouth at the moment. I would love to increase my workload slightly, but need to be careful about the expense involved as well. Currently I have a fan page on facebook and am in the process of setting up a website. Any other ideas?

Thanks
Clair

7 replies
indydebi Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:13am
post #2 of 8

BNI. It's a business networking group and it WORKS!! One referral from my fellow BNI'er got me a client who spent over $10,000 in catering inside a four month period. My first two weeks with BNI and I received enough business that paid for my membership for the entire year.

Here's the Australia info:
http://www.bni.com/Default.aspx?tabid=67

Let me know if you join! My chapter is starting to to tease me about being the International BNI AMbassador! icon_lol.gif

jenmat Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:13am
post #3 of 8

For me it was samples, samples, samples- figure out where you can send cake to anything, print out menus and have magnets or cards too with the cake.
Website will help you immensely~ once you get the calls you can send them there to look at pictures.
When you can afford it bridal shows are great, when you get a wedding, volunteer to slice and serve the cake for a good rate. I got a lot of people just being at the weddings themselves. (I don't do that anymore, but it was helpful at first)
Whatever you do, don't waste your money on newspaper ads!
And word of mouth is still the best way to get enthusiastic customers who are willing to pay your prices!

chillebrandt Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:28am
post #4 of 8

I print my own business cards and leave them everywhere I go ... banks, corner stores, hair salons, etc.

calamity_clair Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:35am
post #5 of 8

Thanks for you ideas. I'll let you know how i go.

indydebi Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:41am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillebrandt

I print my own business cards and leave them everywhere I go ... banks, corner stores, hair salons, etc.

Watch for engagement rings on cashier's hands. I've handed my card to people in the fast food drive-thru windows! icon_lol.gif

Motta Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:49am
post #7 of 8

Oh, Debi! You are so sly!! icon_biggrin.gif

alexj9988 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 6:47am
post #8 of 8

Word of mouth is not always enough, but I do agree that regular newspaper ads are probably worthless. I am just starting out in the cake business, but my DH and I had a small restraunt for a few years, and word of mouth is a fickle thing. Check with your local publications, many of them do special bridal inserts or sections a few times a year, and those would be worth it if you do wedding cakes. Also for wedding cakes, you can check the paper for engagement announcments and use the info to track down an address and send a special mailer. As for general celebration cakes, samples are a good way to go. When I get up and running I plan on making mini-cakes, fully decorated, for local businesses (these will also go in my portfolio) to generate interest. Just some ideas, and if I ever get to implement them, I'll let you know how they work out! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%