When Do I Decorate?

Decorating By cg0617 Updated 27 Aug 2009 , 2:26am by bbmom

cg0617 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:59am
post #1 of 6

How far ahead of a due date have you decorated?

I am doing a basketball court cake for a birthday party on Saturday. My cakes were baked days ago and they are in the freezer. I am using non-dairy buttercream frosting. How long can this stay in the fridge once decorated? I usually do my cakes the night before so they are fresh fresh fresh. But I have 2 young children icon_cry.gif and Friday night is going to be horrific for decorating since my hubby has to work. If I started these cakes tomorrow and kept them refridgerated do you think it would be ok? I don't want the cake to taste old icon_smile.gif

PS- I am rather new to the decorating world, but I wanted to let everyone know that I got Sams club to sell me and edible image for $3. Perhaps this is old news, but I was really excited icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
prterrell Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:06am
post #2 of 6

Once they're iced, the icing seals in the moisture in the cake. The cakes will actually stay fresh out on the counter (unless you need to put them in the fridge to keep little fingers out of them!). You're fine to begin decorating tonight even. I have a cake for Saturday that I'm going to bake and ice and do as much as possible on tomorrow and finish up Fri morning as I have to go out of town Fri evening.

LittleLinda Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:00am
post #3 of 6

Take them out of the freezer and let defrost before icing if you want the buttercream to crust. Decorate them and leave them out of the fridge unless you have a perishable filling. I store cakes overnight in my oven to keep them safe. Not a gas oven, mine is electric. I just put a paper over the preheat button that says "cake in oven" so nobody (including me) starte preheating the oven with the cake in it.

cg0617 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:10am
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the replies. I got the answer I wanted. I think I will start decorating tomorrow..

My hubby pre heated the oven one time while I had cakes in there.

I was so sad when I got home from work..

sweet-thing Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:10am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLinda

I store cakes overnight in my oven to keep them safe. Not a gas oven, mine is electric. I just put a paper over the preheat button that says "cake in oven" so nobody (including me) starte preheating the oven with the cake in it.

This is a great idea!

bbmom Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:26am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLinda

I just put a paper over the preheat button that says "cake in oven" so nobody (including me) starte preheating the oven with the cake in it.

Thats a great idea, I am always storing things in the oven.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%