I Need Help With A California Design

Decorating By Jayde Updated 29 Aug 2009 , 4:41pm by Jayde

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:41am
post #1 of 12

I dont want to make this cake, I think thats why I am having such a hard time with the design. Usually I can come up with at least a couple of designs, but I am truely stuck.

My best friend, since we were 10! Is moving to California. icon_cry.gif I am not happy about this. I dont want her to go. BUT I am being the good friend and am happy for her and wishing her well. Well I am of course throwing the going away party. So I thought that I would go ahead and make her a cake. Cause its not a party without cake.

I am stumped. I thought about carving out the state of CA and putting on there things that are related to CA like sushi, sharks, surf boards, ocean, palm trees, etc. But I dont know that I could get a good cut out of the state and how hard that would be to cover in fondant? And I dunno...

Help? Any advice not necessarily related to caking would be appreciated...

11 replies
2SimplySweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SimplySweet Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:49am
post #2 of 12

a cake with grapes, cheese, crackers, wine glass, wine bottle.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:54am
post #3 of 12

jayde... your idea sounds terrific.. go for it..

Rebealuvsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebealuvsweets Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:04am
post #4 of 12

U could make a cake with a big crack like an earthquake hit it. And put our famous burger place In-n-out design. A beach theme? Just a few ideas...

lauriekailee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauriekailee Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:16am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde

I dont want to make this cake, I think thats why I am having such a hard time with the design. Usually I can come up with at least a couple of designs, but I am truely stuck.

My best friend, since we were 10! Is moving to California. icon_cry.gif I am not happy about this. I dont want her to go. BUT I am being the good friend and am happy for her and wishing her well. Well I am of course throwing the going away party. So I thought that I would go ahead and make her a cake. Cause its not a party without cake.

I am stumped. I thought about carving out the state of CA and putting on there things that are related to CA like sushi, sharks, surf boards, ocean, palm trees, etc. But I dont know that I could get a good cut out of the state and how hard that would be to cover in fondant? And I dunno...

Help? Any advice not necessarily related to caking would be appreciated...

Where is she going? a new job? can you work something around that? Or there is always the old "moving to greeners pastures" type cake!

Laurie

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:20am
post #6 of 12

OK - I'm a transplanted Californian living in Texas and nobody has captured the true meaning of California yet. It's the 'Golden State' because of the goldrush. And, its flag has a bear on it. I think some kind of bear holding a gold nugget with the orange/red California poppy in the other hand might be kinda interesting. Just my two cents!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:27am
post #7 of 12

Thank you Cookie4! I was about to say the same thing. I am a Cali girl as well and Cookie4 has GREAT ideas. Those items are specific to California only. Surfboards and all that are nice, but we're not the only state with beaches. Oh ya, our state slogan is "Eureka it's gold!". that might be nice on a banner.

Jayde Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:25pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks for all of the advice guys! I dont get to do the cake now icon_sad.gif which is ok with me, I have enough on my plate as is.

Instead a large group of us are going out to a really fancy restaurant (her choice) for dinner and dessert. They wont let us bring in an outside cake. So I dodged that one. I think I am going to be too blubbery to be able to make a cake anyways...

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:38pm
post #9 of 12

Native Californian here...what about a sheet cake with a winding road, her in a car and then road signs winding down the road with her...start with Eureka at the top and end with San Diego down in the bottom. Then add a lighthouse for extreme Nor Cal, bottle of wine/cheese for Napa/Sonoma, mini Golden Gate for San Francisco, a tractor for the farmlands of central CA, something movie themed like a clap board for LA or Disney and then a surfboard for San Diego...that sort of thing to go with the signs. Good luck...will wait impatiently to see what you come up with! LOL!

Cat icon_biggrin.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:39pm
post #10 of 12

Oh, no, now no cake? Bummer man!

MissCathcart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCathcart Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:48pm
post #11 of 12

I was going to suggest that you not do the cake if it causes you so much heartache.

Jayde Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 4:41pm
post #12 of 12

She would be offended if I did not make her a cake! She is my bestie, since we were in the 3rd grade.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%