Structural Help Please!!

Decorating By pipe-dreams Updated 27 Aug 2009 , 1:07am by pipe-dreams

pipe-dreams Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:26am
post #1 of 5

I am doing my daughters cake, which is Madagascar themed. I will attach a pic so this makes more sense!

Ok, so in the pic you see the plane has fallen apart. On the side of the plane there are these silver beams with holes in them. I tried to make them from fondant, but they ended up being way too short and not enough height. I can't find anything else to make them with. I tried drying it on the side of a pan, a pitcher and a bowl.

Do you have any ideas of what I could use other than fondant to get the width and height I need? I was thinking twizzlers, but they aren't strong enough to support themselves. I need to get this done tonight b/c I am leaving tomorrow for FL. Thanks in advance!
LL

4 replies
-K8memphis Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:44am
post #2 of 5

Make U's with holes in them--lay them flat. If I'm looking at the right part--they are like the skeleton of the plane?

I'm not familiar with that story but...that's my idea for you.

I add cornstarch to my fondant to get it to dry crispy.

-K8memphis Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:47am
post #3 of 5

Y'know just make a 'sausage',
roll it flat,
might need to cut the edges off to even it out
shape it in the upside 'U' shape and
punch out the holes with something.

Doug Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:58am
post #4 of 5

1) draw out the size and shape you need on a piece of paper.

2) cover it with wax paper or saran wrap.

3) do K8memphis-'s strategy making long rolls of fondant and then flattening.

4) hint on making holes -- use a round icing tip -- pic one that has an opening the size you need -- ALSO -- save the little pieces of fondant you cut out to roll into little balls, and dust with pearl dust for little pearls to add to cakes.

pipe-dreams Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:07am
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much!! I guess I was over complicating it..lol

I didn't even think to draw the size I need and lay them flat to dry icon_redface.gif

You two have saved me big time! I really appreciate it icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%