The Cake Is Going To Be Ugly...

Decorating By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 28 Aug 2009 , 2:40am by The_Sugar_Fairy

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 21

I'm making my first wedding cake in October and I just can't believe what the bride wants. She wants a very elegant looking cake with scrollwork, ribbon, and silk leaves which is fine but she just told me that she has the cake topper and it's the bridge pulling along the groom. Now isn't that totally going to clash with the theme of the cake?!! I just don't understand people's sense of taste sometimes! Do any of you find this frustrating too? Thanks for listening.

20 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 11:04pm
post #2 of 21

Just take your photos of the cake before the topper goes on icon_biggrin.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 21

Personally, I don't care for bridge and groom toppers of any sort. They're just not my taste. Not on a wedding cake, anyway. I did make a cake for a boss friend of mine once before he got married for a party we threw him at work and I used that topper. It was kind of an inside joke, because he'd wanted to get married for a long time and it was the girl who had been putting it off (school and career).

Eh, well, what can you do? Make the cake as beautiful as you know you can and if they want a goofy topper, well, that's on them, ya know?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 21

I can't understand why people consider that tacky. Maybe it's my beer-taste standard showing thru or something, but I'm here to tell you, when I'm at the wedding, cutting the cake that has one of these toppers, the guests LUV it! I usually have to hold up cutting the cake while guests get pics of the topper. They find it fun and funny, humorous and unique, a statement of the bride and groom's fun philosophy of their life.

So I dont' see the big deal, here. It's the bride's cake, not the bakers. Everyone knows the baker didn't make the topper.

I'd rather have something that makes everyone smile than one of those traditional B&G toppers.

"We cannot really love anybody with whom we never laugh." ----Agnes Repplier

"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." ---e e cummings

"You don't stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop laughing." ---Michael Pritchard

"Among those whom I like or admire, I can find no common denominator, but among those whom I love, I can: all of them make me laugh." ---
W. H. Auden

Alaskahsm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alaskahsm Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 11:30pm
post #5 of 21

Now that I make cakes, I feel for the lady that did my cake. I had a precious moments topper. How she kept that thing from sinking into the cake is beyond me.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:04am
post #6 of 21

I think one of those "tacky" toppers would look horrible on an elegant cake. As a decorator I feel for you; but like a previous post said - it's her cake and if she wants an ugly topper who cares. I would take pics before the topper goes on; stick it on and forget about it. icon_lol.gif

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:17am
post #7 of 21

I'm with Debi. You make the wonderful cake, and what they do with that is up to them. Every one's taste is different. My mom tells me what cakes of mine she finds tacky, and I tell her "It's what they wanted" and she says that she wouldn't make it if she were me. I keep telling her that I'll make whatever they pay me for, because to them, it's a wonderful cake.

I do, however, take my final photo BEFORE the topper goes on!!! Oh, and there have been a few times where I have not even put the topper on the cake at all (my av photo is a prime example).

Now, that being said, there is no way I'm putting a topper like that on MY cake!!!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:31am
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Just take your photos of the cake before the topper goes on icon_biggrin.gif

that's a great idea! icon_lol.gif

i would at least tell her that might clash with the cake...if she doesn't listen, then at least you told her. icon_wink.gif

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:33am
post #9 of 21

I've never seen this topper that I know of. I feel sorry for the cake shoppe that did my cake as well. I had a Lladro topper and it weighed a ton. If someone came to me with a topper like that, I would have no idea how to keep it from sinking as well.
My friend from high school had a daughter that just got married two weeks ago. She had that cake with the bridges, fountains and bridesmaids/groomsmen on the stairs-which ironically was the cake her mother and his parents had as well. Believe it or not, she had a hard time finding someone who would make that cake because the cake people told her it was tacky, they didn't want it in their portfolio and they didn't want anyone to know that was a cake they had made. She finally got in touch with the woman who did the in-laws cake nearly 30 years ago and her daughter and grand-daughter made the cakes. They were more than happy to make the cake and make the nearly 2K they were paid for it.

indydebi Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:40am
post #10 of 21

terri, what a neat happy ending story! I may step on some toes, but how ARROGANT of the bakers to refuse to replicate a mother's wedding cake for the daughter who wants that particular cake. icon_mad.gif

How come no one ridicules the bride who wears her mother's wedding gown (that's at least 20 years "out of date")? ANd they don't ridicule the bride who designs her bouquet to be like her mother's (as my daughter did)?

But a bride who wants her mother's wedding cake design is considered some backwoods low-life with less than zero taste and bakers are "too good" to help create this bride's vision of a perfect day.

well la dee dah!

Sorry, but this "my taste is SO much superior to yours" attitude just pi$$es me off.

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:44am
post #11 of 21

Debi, I actually wore my mother's gown when I got married and she wore it in January of 1956 & wore it again in December of 2000. Oddly enough though my cake looked like hers as well even though it was picked out by my husband who had never seen pictures of her cake. It wasn't until one of my aunt's who cut my mother's cake at the time put the pciture of me and my husband cutting our cake in her album next to mom & dad's that she noticed the similarities.

Kathryn's daughter & son-in-law were so pleased with the cake and everyone at the reception just loved it. Both sets of grandparents were thrilled too.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:59am
post #12 of 21

I have made a few cakes that I didn't like, I just did not put the pictures in my portfolio or share here with all my cake friends!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:59am
post #13 of 21

Ditto with the PP - If it is a cake I don't care for, I will still make it - it just doesn't get put in my portfolio! (and I just did one 2 weeks ago that I will NEVER show anyone a pic of - but the bride and groom LOVED it!)

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:21pm
post #14 of 21

i had this too - a really modern cake with a hideous real lace dress plastic 80's horror topper but i just didnt photograph it with it on.

tonight i had a nice topper it was abstract (no faces) light china with a flowy bride and groom - very art nouveau and it actually did go with the style of the cake so i wasnt horrified by it, it was actualy very nice but i still didnt take a picture with it on, im just not into the look of toppers on any cake

....sucks but you have to just stick it on and get on with it.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:29pm
post #15 of 21

As far as I am conserned as long as I have my money they can spread out a tarp, cover each other in mazolla oid and roll around in the cake.

fabfour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabfour Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:58pm
post #16 of 21

The only topper I'd have a problem with would be the ones that have the bride and groom doing ..ummm it on the cake. Now that to me is tacky.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 10:12pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBoos-8599_

As far as I am conserned as long as I have my money they can spread out a tarp, cover each other in mazolla oid and roll around in the cake.

That's hysterical! icon_lol.gif And That's right, as long as their money is Canadian, and whatever color Canadian money is, let them do whatever the heck they want with it.

Take photos with and without the topper - try to get one at an angle where the comedic influence will be less noticeable.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 10:30pm
post #18 of 21

Did you mean to say bride pulling the groom topper?If so I have one in my pics. and it has scroll work on it to.The lady I made it for wanted everything she could associate with wedding cakes on this one.I just did the best I could with it,it turned out ok. anyway the one on my cake was alot heavier than I thought it would be so be sure to dowel properly.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 1:10am
post #19 of 21

There are just some people who are not as tasteful as others.

indydebi Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 2:23am
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

There are just some people who are not as tasteful as others.

The debate comes when folks are trying to figure out who is "not as tasteful" ..... the bride who is selecting that topper or the baker who refuses to see the fun and humor in it. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 2:40am
post #21 of 21

I do see the humor in it. I just wish it wasn't my first ever wedding cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%