Please Help Me With Mff Recipe

Decorating By SandiOh Updated 23 Sep 2009 , 8:14pm by Sugarflowers

SandiOh Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 11

I just made it, I know it needs to sit...but I don't think it's gonna work. I added up to 4 lbs of powdered sugar, and it never formed a ball in my KA, then I decided to just take it out and knead it on the counter....its soft, somewhat sticky and seems to tear very easy. not as pliable either as MMF.

what did I do wrong...I admit, i added the heated mixture before it was "lukewarm". it was warm to bathtub warm...could that have done it?

also, when i was letting the heated mixture cool down, alot of gelatin stuck to the side of the cup, so I feel like I lost alot of ingredient in the mix...so that makes adding 4 lbs of sugar suspicious....but the fondant was not stiff.

I hope this makes sense, I hope someone can help because this stuff tastes a whole lot better than MMF.

10 replies
SandiOh Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 10:52pm
post #2 of 11

also, can I skip the KA step and go directly to the counter to knead in extra sugar. I do that with MMF, and I like it better, I get a better feel for it that way.

lorijom Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 11

Sandi, if your mixture was too warm when you added it to the sugar that's your problem but there is hope. Just put it away for 24 hours, it should harden up while it sits. I make about 3 - 6 batches of this every week and have had no disasters...and I always use my KA it's much easier than kneading by hand. It also doesn't always ball up on the dough hook, that's OK I just dump it out of the mixer bowl after I get about 3.5 pounds of the sugar added and add the rest (if needed) from there. Don't worry it should be OK and it is the BEST fondant both in flavor and texture icon_smile.gif

bettinashoe Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 11:10pm
post #4 of 11

If you don't mind me asking (I know you don't), what is MFF and how does it vary from MMF?

Thanks,

Bettina

SandiOh Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 11:30pm
post #5 of 11

sorry, MMF is marshmallow fondant...made out of marshmallows and powdered sugar (basically) and MFF is Michele Foster fondant, a recipe posted here on CC in recipes...it's made out of gelatin, cream, corn syrup, butter, etc....

The Michele Foster fondant is much better tasting (at least I'm a believer as of tonight).

Thanks Lori, I will let it sit and play with it later. keeping my fingers crossed.

xstitcher Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 11:51pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiOh

also, can I skip the KA step and go directly to the counter to knead in extra sugar. I do that with MMF, and I like it better, I get a better feel for it that way.

Yes you can knead by hand if you prefer to do so. The KA is just easier, especially for me (I have a lot of pain in my hands since last winter and kneading the whole thing by hand is a no go for my poor wee hands).

Here's a FAQ that Michele posted about her fondant that might come in handy as well:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-625727-mff.html

SandiOh Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:28am
post #7 of 11

oh, thank you for that link, that answers everything!

xstitcher Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:28am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiOh

oh, thank you for that link, that answers everything!

Anytime icon_biggrin.gif

Kristy1223 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 1:27am
post #9 of 11

I made MFF and I had the exact same problem, I had to add the whole 4 lbs of sugar. I too got impatient and started mixing before the liquid cooled down to lukewarm. I didn't use the fondant until the next day and it was still too sticky. I heavily dusted the countertop with powered sugar and it kept sticking. After about 3 attemps with the powdered suger, I switched to greasing the countertop with Crisco. So this was all because I didn't wait until the temp was lukewarm? Oh, by the way it tasted really good!

SandiOh Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 11:14pm
post #10 of 11

update, I made a new batch of the fondant and literally forced myself to wait for the gelatin mixture to cool down....it worked perfectly. rolled out so much better the MMF.

Sugarflowers Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 8:14pm
post #11 of 11

This is probably going to set off a firestorm, but I think this needs to be addressed. When a recipe has very specific instructions, such as letting it cool, why is the instruction not followed? If it weren't important, why would the writer put it in the instructions? If a recipe says to bake a cake at 325F should it be baked at 350F or even 300F? Or if a recipe calls for cold butter (pie crust, etc.), will soft or melted butter make or break the recipe?

The point I want to get across is to READ THE DIRECTIONS COMPLETELY before even starting the recipe. This will save a lot of wasted time, money, and ingredients.

This post is NOT meant to offend anyone. However, I get annoyed when negative things are said about my recipe when the directions were not followed. I am not going to apologize for this. Questions about this recipe have been answered repeatedly. It takes a lot of time to answer them, especially after I posted a full rundown of information about the recipe. For those of you that have fielded many of the questions and posted links, I cannot THANK YOU enough.

Michele

Fondant!?! - http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-625727-mff.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%