Stress Free Cake Torting?

Decorating By lrhill84 Updated 27 Aug 2009 , 8:54pm by grandmom

lrhill84 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 12

It's finally crunch time for my first 3-tier cake! I'm using the Fat Diddio 10x3, 8x3, and 6x3 cake pans.

My question is this. What is the simplest way to torte a cake layer without things falling apart. I'm espically worried about the 10 inch layer. I was thinking of making a test single layer cake this weekend as practice.

The real cake is due next Saturday. I'm sure I'll be on with many more questions before then! icon_biggrin.gif

11 replies
baycheeks1 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 12

Use the Wilton cake leveler...I think everyone else uses somethin similar if not that one.

http://www.b-i-y.com/Cake%20Levelers.htm

They sell them at Michael's or hobby lobby...or any cake decorating supply stores.

mightydragon663 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 12

When you buy the leveler, make sure that both feet set flat on a level surface. I didn't, and the first and only cake I used it on wasn't even remotely level after I torted it. Fortunately it was a Dr. Suess themed cake and so "whimsical" was acceptable.

niccicola Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 12

if you freeze your cakes, make sure they are completely thawed before torting with the Wilton leveler...I grab the middle of the leveler with my right hand firmly and rest my forearm on the leveler and move in quick, SHORT strokes to cut through the cake. Rest my left hand on top of my cake to keep it in place, otherwise it will make jagged cuts on the edges.

PuffCake Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 10:26pm
post #5 of 12

I suggest the Wilton large leveler. Most people on here don't like it, but I've never had any problems with it. It gives me nice level layers every time. I use it even for small 5 or 6 inch cakes! In my opinion, the Wilton small leveler really stinks! The wire is very thin and flimsy. The large leveler has a nice wide serrated blade and large flat feet.

lrhill84 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:02am
post #6 of 12

I have a Wilton Leveler already. My question is once I slide the leveler through, how do I remove the top layer so I can add filling?

tatorchip Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:02am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffCake

I suggest the Wilton large leveler. Most people on here don't like it, but I've never had any problems with it. It gives me nice level layers every time. I use it even for small 5 or 6 inch cakes! In my opinion, the Wilton small leveler really stinks! The wire is very thin and flimsy. The large leveler has a nice wide serrated blade and large flat feet.

I agree with PuffCake I use the large and never have a problem

pattycakesnj Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:16am
post #8 of 12

to remove top layers after torting, I use the wilton cake lifter, 2 if it is a large layer. . I know people use cake boards but I find they can stick sometimes. The wilton cake lifter is metal and thus slides right in with no problem. hth

PuffCake Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:16am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhill84

I have a Wilton Leveler already. My question is once I slide the leveler through, how do I remove the top layer so I can add filling?

Just slide a cake board under the top layer. Once you add your filling to the bottom layer, just slide the top layer off the cake board directly on top of the filling.

Maydo Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:22am
post #10 of 12

Good luck and let us know how it goes. I'm just starting to get the hang of this decorating thing, but the baking part if killing me... I am going to be making a similar cake 10/8/6 and can't even get my practice 6" correct!

IsaSW Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:35pm
post #11 of 12

"wilton cake lifter"

I used it for the first time this weekend, in a 14", 10" and 6" cake.
I was mad at my self for not buying it sooner, all this time that thing was up in the shelf at Michaels and never bought it, always using cardboards. Forget about carboards.
This thing, speeds up your time. Go buy it, you won't regret it.

grandmom Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 8:54pm
post #12 of 12

I got the Wilton Cake Lifter a few weeks ago. It comes in really handy for lots of things besides lifting cakes, torted or otherwise.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%