Homemade Vs. Store Bought...this Is What Ive Decided..

Decorating By cb_one Updated 28 Aug 2009 , 7:37pm by tiggy2

cb_one Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 12

I've gotten several cake orders over the past few weeks, (thank goodness!) that will keep me fairly busy untill Oct.

All of them fondant covered, and I went to the store this past Monday to purchase some Satin Ice..when I thought about how much I was spending on this part of the cake. A 5lb bucket of Satin Ice costs me $23, 20lbs cost $60 I think. Anyway this is a decent chunk, anywhere from 15-30% of the cost of the cake, if not more. I don't count Wilton because its an inferior product regardless of the price.

Now I used to be a big advocate of Homemede Fondant, mostly MMF, but got tired of making it, even though it added up to be less than 10% of what I charge for the cake. Taking convience and sometimes quality, over what I was putting back in my pocket.

Standing in the Cake store I contemplated for 20min on what I should do. I decided to go home, crack open some of my cook books and made about 5 batches of Fondant in about 1hr..11lbs worth. All for about $12

I said all this to say, Satin Ice and other ready-made Fondants are great if your in a pinch for time, but if you space out your work properly, making your Fondant saves a LOT of money.

This is probably nothing new to you members who have been in the Cake Baking / Decorating business for a while, but to those who are just getting started, I would think about how much $$ you don't get back when you buy store-bought.

11 replies
PinkZiab Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 12

While I cannot argue that homemade is cheaper, that's still not always a good enough reason. Especially when working in volume sometimes it just comes down to: What's a more cost-effective use of my time (in business, time is money, after all)?

Now there will be many differing opinions on this, but I've decided that I can definitely make better use of the time it takes not only to make all of the fondant I would need (especially since my preferred fondant recipe MUST rest overnight before it can be used), but also the time spent kneading in pastes and gels trying to achieve the perfect shade (I buy pre-colored Satin Ice and use those shades to custom blend my colors, which is much easier, less messy, and takes less time than coloring with food colors. For me, Satin ice is worth EVERY PENNY for this very reason alone! lol). Also, I make sure my pricing reflects that I am using a higher-priced product.

cb_one Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

While I cannot argue that homemade is cheaper, that's still not always a good enough reason. Especially when working in volume sometimes it just comes down to: What's a more cost-effective use of my time (in business, time is money, after all)?

Now there will be many differing opinions on this, but I've decided that I can definitely make better use of the time it takes not only to make all of the fondant I would need (especially since my preferred fondant recipe MUST rest overnight before it can be used), but also the time spent kneading in pastes and gels trying to achieve the perfect shade (I buy pre-colored and use those shades to custom blend my colors, which is much easier, less messy, and takes less time than coloring with food colors. For me, is worth EVERY PENNY for this very reason alone! lol). Also, I make sure my pricing reflects that I am using a higher-priced product.

I agree, but it seems that you move more product than I do, so it makes perfect sense for you. I used SI in the past because, like you I had better things to do with my time, less mess..etc.
Untill I get to the point where it makes sense for me to not make my own, i'll probably stick with homemade.

I mainly put this up for members who "don't know" or are confused since there are so many products out there to go with.

PinkZiab Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 10:13pm
post #4 of 12

I totally get it... I wasn't trying to "prove you wrong" or anything like that... just showing the other side of the coin. Giving multiple aspects can help those reading this make a well-informed decision... that's part of what this site is all about: Sharing our experience with others to help each other out!

grandmom Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:23am
post #5 of 12

Today, for the first time ever, I cracked open a pail of Satin Ice, just to see it, feel it, taste it. I loved how it felt and looked, and while I liked the taste of it, I very much prefer the taste of MFF or even the Wilton recipe for scratch I made years ago (NOT that crappy ready-to-roll Wilton fondant in a box!!!)).

But making fondant is time-consuming and messy, and yep, MFF needs to rest. I haven't made my mind up yet... I like that marshmallow-y taste, but I'm not sure I want that on my cake...

I don't do lots of cakes, but time is still a concern. Jury is still out...

costumeczar Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:21am
post #6 of 12

I make my own fondant and the cost is the main reason, (but I don't like the artificial vanilla flavor that most premade fondants have, either.) I do buy the black and red satin ice, because those are the two colors that are really hard to make from scratch. Since I usually only use those colors as accents, it's not like I'm covering an entire cake with it, so the flavoring isn't as much of an issue. It's a balance between convenience and cost, so for me it depends on what color it needs to be and how hard it would be to get a good dark color if I made it myself.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:22am
post #7 of 12

I do not make my own fondant. I just do not have the space to do it and I am usually in a time crunch.

With my Tiki cake I took another aproach. I needed the fondant to be dark brown and the cake was for a close family member so I gave her the option. If she felt her family would eat the fondant I would order chocolate fondant BUT if she felt that most people would peel it off and throw it away, I did not want to charge her what I would if I had the expense of ordering yummy fondant. I left it up to her and told her that the price would be _____ with chocolate fondant and _____ with wilton fondant tinted brown. She opted for the yummy fondant and I just added the $30.00 to the cost of the cake. I have never done this before and probably would not do it with someone I did not know but in this case it actually worked out well.

cb_one Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:56pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

I totally get it... I wasn't trying to "prove you wrong" or anything like that... just showing the other side of the coin. Giving multiple aspects can help those reading this make a well-informed decision... that's part of what this site is all about: Sharing our experience with others to help each other out!

I totally agree with you Ziab, thank you for your input!

Rylan Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 12:46am
post #9 of 12

I just buy my own fondant. I just don't have to make it. If you want less mess, try Jennifer Dontz's fondant recipe. Get her DVD tp get it.

LaBellaFlor Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 12:51am
post #10 of 12

I make my own fondant cause of cost and cause of taste. I think this is another preference thing. If I had a bakery with like 20 wedding cakes a weekend, it would probably be more practical to buy premade, but I'm not that big.

Loucinda Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 1:34am
post #11 of 12

I also make my own fondant. I trie Satin Ice once, and found it was too soft for me. I will buy wilton to use on dummies though! I want to get some choco pan to try - LOVED the taste of the samples of it at ICES.

tiggy2 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 7:37pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

I just buy my own fondant. I just don't have to make it. If you want less mess, try Jennifer Dontz's fondant recipe. Get her DVD tp get it.

If you use Jennifer's recipe you are still buying pre-made fondant to make it, however it is a dream to work with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%