? About Wilton Meringue Powder

Decorating By Kristy1223 Updated 27 Aug 2009 , 3:09am by patty5

Kristy1223 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 9

I made Antonia's RI today, tasted like crap, added vanilla, still tasted like crap. Can anyone here tell me if it is because of the Wilton brand meringue powder. I'd love to make some decorated sugar cookies but it would be a waste, no one would eat them.

8 replies
prterrell Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 8:10pm
post #2 of 9

I use Wilton meringue powder and Country Kitchen meringue powder interchangeabley, never had a problem with taste. The Wilton meringue powder should come with a RI recipe. I've used it w/ no problems, tastes great, well tastes extremely sweet, but that's what RI tastes like, sugar.

Texas_Rose Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 9

Royal icing just tastes like royal icing. I've used different recipes and different flavorings and it doesn't make much difference. If you're used to buttercream, then royal is not going to taste very good to you. Usually since a cookie is sweet and buttery, it makes a good combination with the royal icing.

You can also decorate them with fondant, but again, if you only like buttercream, then they may taste like crap to you too.

Kristy1223 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 9

It had a stale taste (kind of reminded me of Wilton's fondant). Last Christmas I bought a Wilton pre-made gingerbread house for my daughter. It came with already made royal icing and that stuff was really delicious. I was hoping to make it myself.

icer101 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 9

use wilton and ck all the time.. never heard anyone say wilton meringue powder taste bad. any r/i i make with witon brand has a very good taste. don,t understand your problem..

Mug-a-Bug Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 11:21pm
post #6 of 9

My guess is that you think royal icing tastes like crap. It is what it is. icon_rolleyes.gif

RachieRach Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 11:26pm
post #7 of 9

I have to agree with SinCity - I don't think you like the taste of royal icing. Ice one cookie with it and taste it. I think you will like it. It is not the same as buttercream but tastes great on cookies.

Melchas Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 11:42pm
post #8 of 9

OR, you may have gotten a bad batch of meringue pwder, it can happen. I would try a new can and if you still don't like the taste, then I would have to agree with the other post and say you just may not like RI.

Personally, I use a really good crusting BC and on my sugar cookies and they hold up well and taste good.

patty5 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:09am
post #9 of 9

I had the same experience with the same merengue podwer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%