How To Avoid The 'bulge"

Decorating By onlymadaresane Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 10:55pm by LittleLinda

onlymadaresane Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 6

So I made a topsy turvy cake last week (first go around at that). (pic is in my photos) It was buttercream topped with MMF and a 8' & 6" stacked. I got a bulge between the layers on the bottom of the cake.

I used dowels. Could the dowels have been the problem? Did they not quite support the 6" well enough?

Was there too much filling? (I used a THIN layer of BC- less than 1/4")

Is there a way to avoid this?

5 replies
prterrell Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 8:13pm
post #2 of 6

Did you use a cake board under the 6"? If not, the dowels alone are not enough to support the upper tiers.

Sassy74 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 8:13pm
post #3 of 6

Sugarshack's dvd's are awesome at demonstrating how to avoid bulging filling. Her buttercream dvd and her fondant dvd address this. Get them both, if you can! The process she describes is to dam your cake layers with a VERY STIFF buttercream (so stiff you can pick it up in your hands and squeeze it!). Then fill your cake, being careful to not go over the top of the dam. Then, after your filled cake has had time to settle (overnight), she trims the sides with a very sharp knife to make them perfectly straight. Then chill the cake well, and cover with fondant. I've been using this method and it works GREAT! No more bulging sides!

Rylan Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 6

Like already mentioned, I suggest you pipe a stiff dam and let the tiers settle. If you try ganache, you will likely have less problems.

onlymadaresane Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the ideas ladies. I was filling then putting on crumb- no wait time!

I'm going to try it with the wait time! AND try the ganache

LittleLinda Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 10:55pm
post #6 of 6

I looked in your photos. It came out cute.

Quote by @%username% on %date%