Refrigerating A Fondant Cake

Decorating By theatomiccakeco Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 8:07pm by luddroth

theatomiccakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theatomiccakeco Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 7:25pm
post #1 of 6

I've noticed on some of the cake shows that they put the fondant covered cakes in the cooler. I was always told to never put fondant in the refrigerator. Does anyone know anything about this? Can you put a covered cake in the fridge? Thanks!

5 replies
veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 6

Some people do

But I have done this (before I knew) and had very bad results. I decorated a cake with fondant accents and put it in the fridge overnight, when I took it out the next morning everything was fine until it started to come to room temperature. All the accents started melting from the condensation. Everything was very wet and shiny (not in a good way). It eventually dried but the pieces were already destroyed.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 6

LOTS of discussion about this on the site -- do a search on the forum posts and you'll find a lot of it. I was told the same thing -- once the cake is covered with fondant, leave it out. The fondant is supposed to act as an airtight seal and will protect the cake for an unstated period of time -- a day or so? That said, when I've made cakes for my family, I've refrigerated the leftover fondant-coverd cake and it's been fine for days. The fondant does get firm, but softens again if left out at room temp. And refrigerating it does seem to prevent the sagging and bulging that can happen if the fondant is too soft or the cake/buttercream underneath get lazy in a warm environment. I've never tried to freeze a fondant-covered cake and the people here who know the most say don't do it. Hope that helps.

theatomiccakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theatomiccakeco Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks very much for your advice!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 7:55pm
post #5 of 6

I refrigerate all of my cakes, without issue. The fillings I use require it and I've never had any problems with the fondant because of it.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 8:07pm
post #6 of 6

Ah, the condensation problem. Yes. If it is very humid, that will happen. You can cover the cake with plastic wrap and leave it wrapped until it is at room temp and that will help keep the moisture in the air off. But water will melt fondant, so be careful....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%