New Tool, Your Hubby Might Already Own!

Decorating By HowCoolGomo1 Updated 27 Aug 2009 , 9:49pm by superstar

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 21

It's a Dremel tool.

I've been trying to stock pile some heels for GP shoes. Keep busting them when I try to sand the seams.

This morning, I decided to try the Dremel. It works!

I have a variable speed, so I've only used it on the #1 setting for speed and a very light touch. I'm working with the broken heels to see, which
sander is going to work best.

I will update when I find out.

Hth, somebody out there.

20 replies
subaru Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 6:50pm
post #2 of 21

Cool! I love power tools!

PinkZiab Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 21

Definitely a handy tool to have... I've always used mine to clean up pastillage piece before constructing a showpiece or stand... you can use them to cut stencils and dowels, drill holes in masonite boards... I can't live without mine!

tigerhawk83 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 21

I've used my Dremel to cut bamboo skewers holding a 3D cake together - this was on a NON-iced cake. The skewers were too thick to cut with knife or scissors. I keep a couple of cutting wheels with my cake stuff so I keep them clean.

gateauxdamour Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 21

Good idea! Thanks for sharing! icon_smile.gif

Djor Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 7:19pm
post #6 of 21

That sound good, thanks thumbs_up.gif

veronica720 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 7:20pm
post #7 of 21

I have been wanting for a while for other projects but couldn't make myself buy it, but now that I can use it for cakes I will buy it asap. hehe

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 9:32pm
post #8 of 21

Glad I was able to help for a change.

I called Dremel, because my kit actually came with a rechargeable tool. I've lost the parts, of course.

I purchased it over 11 years ago, so can't get the replacements for it.

I did find out they make a Dremel, just for WalMart. It's the rechargeable one. It's blue and runs about $25. It only comes with 2 speeds, low or high. I don't know if they actually manufacture one for the big W, that requires a cord and has variable speeds.

PinkZiab, offered up some info that would probably be more helpful than what I'm offering. If PinkZiab, is willing to share what parts are most helpful, I would be truly appreciative.

diane Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:42am
post #9 of 21

are you kiddin' me... icon_eek.gif my dh has that tool! ooooh...i am going to steal it!!! icon_razz.gif

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:12am
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane

are you kiddin' me... icon_eek.gif my dh has that tool! ooooh...i am going to steal it!!! icon_razz.gif

Good for you! I think that was my point. My experience, the guy wanted it, but it's not the thing. You might be able to steal it and he'll never know it's gone.

Don't ooh and aah over it. He may want it back!

superstar Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:33am
post #11 of 21

I have a battery operated Dremel & lots of different bits, it is wonderful, apart from sanding off rough edges, I drill holes in gumpaste, buff with it & many other things. A wonderful tool.

alidpayne Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:44am
post #12 of 21

I found a cordless rechargeable one at work on clearance the other day and snatched it up to use for cake. I was so excited. It was a nice one that came with a case and lots of accessories, about a $60 tool & I got it for less than $20. I was thrilled.

(I work @ Lowe's)

grandmom Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 10:11am
post #13 of 21

Nothing I love better than to find cake uses for tools I already have! Woo hoo!

gingersoave Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 10:28am
post #14 of 21

howcool, so your using it to sand the heels after you attach it with royal icing? I'm curious what you are sanding, I was wondering (at 3am, ya know one of those bright ideas in the middle of the night!) if I could use sand paper to sand royal icing. I need to make a champaign bottle and I need to "glue" the two sides together and well thought about sanding down the extra royal icing after it dries, do you think the dremel will work for that?? How funny that I was thinking (or dreaming) about this and here it is on CC this morning!!!!

thanks for the tool tip

PattyT Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:07am
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by alidpayne

I found a cordless rechargeable one at work on clearance the other day and snatched it up to use for cake. I was so excited. It was a nice one that came with a case and lots of accessories, about a $60 tool & I got it for less than $20. I was thrilled.

(I work @ Lowe's)

Oooooh! We have one right around the corner, I'm stopping by tonight.

Are they on sale in all stores (say, to make way for a new model), or just a single one in a clearance area?

Thanks everyone for the tip(s)
Pat

alidpayne Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:51pm
post #16 of 21

Pat, I believe it was on clearance because they got a new model. Should have been in all stores that stocked that item (we don't all stock the same ones) I am not sure. I just happened across it on a clearance rack. We had three of them so I know that they were going for good. Hope you find one!

jillangel Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:06pm
post #17 of 21

Forget hubby. I've had this before we ever got together! All crafters should have one they are so versatile. I love my attachment which is a thin flexible extension that you put the sanders, etc. on so I can hang my heavy dremel and work in delicate small places without holding and maneuvering it. I think its called the motoflex shaft tool attachment.

PattyT Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:20pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by alidpayne

Pat, I believe it was on clearance because they got a new model. Should have been in all stores that stocked that item (we don't all stock the same ones) I am not sure. I just happened across it on a clearance rack. We had three of them so I know that they were going for good. Hope you find one!

Thanks so much for the info. I'll hit up Lowes after work today.
I love going there anyway.

Thanks - Pat

NYCGiGi Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:26pm
post #19 of 21

This is perfect for especially since I live in NYC; it's small and won't take up much room! Great!

tiggy2 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:01pm
post #20 of 21

Oh wow, I have one of those and haven't used it in years. Now if I could just remember where I put it (I know I saw it when we moved last fall).

superstar Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:49pm
post #21 of 21

I bought mine at Walmart, it is rechargeable & wasn't expensive.It is so useful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%