How Much Do You Use?

Decorating By heddahope Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 5:24pm by G_Cakes

heddahope Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 3

I bake cakes for my kids and am doing my baby's Baptism Cake for sunday. I just received my round 3" deep magic line pans monday and plan on doing a stacked 10", 8", 6". My questions for you all are....How much batter do you use in these pans? and how many layers (torted or not) do you think I should do for each tier? TIA

Heather

2 replies
msulli10 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 3

Try this link http://shop.pattycakes.com/Guides/party_cakes.asp
3in pans are pretty deep so I would think that you could do one layer for each tier. Once you tort and fill your layers, it should make each tier closer to 3 1/2 inches tall. That's a good size cake.

G_Cakes Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 3

Hi Heather, first off welcome to CC.

Now I dont have the magic line pans but I do have a set of rounds (10",8" & 6") that are 3 inches deep.

This is what I have found with my pans (using cake mixes like BC or DH) 2 boxed cake mixes fill my 10" perfectly, and another 2 box mixes will fill both my 8 & 6" pans to the half way point.

You dont want to fill the pans more then half way as they will over flow and make a HUGE mess in the bottom of your oven (experience talking here LOL).

Now if you are a scratch baker I think it may break down like this:

4 cups of batter for 10"
2.5-3 cups of batter for 8"
1-1.5 cups of batter for the 6"

Hope this helps, also check you pans to see if there was in instructions for cleaning etc. you may find something there about how much to fill each pan icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%