Draping Buttercream Poinsettia

Decorating By richnangela Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 11:14pm by -K8memphis

richnangela Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 17

I'm doing my first wedding cake! icon_smile.gif It's my brother's wedding, and it's December 26th. So it's a Christmas theme. It's also real low-key and small - about 35 people total in a house with just a cake and punch reception. I've talked to the bride (my soon to be SIL) and I'm going to do the cake! She wants something really simple - 3 tier yellow cake with white butter cream frosting. Also she'd like me to drape poinsettias on the front of the cake. (I've seen other cakes on CC that do it with roses, etc.). If I do them in butter cream, how do I drape them? Any tips? I first have to learn how to make them - that will come in my courses in the next couple of months, but I'm just curious if you can drape butter cream poinsettias. Thanks!

16 replies
all4cake Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 4:14pm
post #2 of 17

I'd freeze them puppies (may bleed when thawed) or air dry them for several days then apply them with dabs of bc and further secure them with bc leaves/pine needles....

christinapp Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 17

I'd use royal icing ones instead. You do them the same way you would the butter cream ones, but allow them to dry.
There would be no chance of bleeding.

all4cake Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 17

I prefer using RI to make flowers when they're going on the side. OP was considering bc though. The bc ones won't bleed if they're airdried. If you use a crusting bc, they can be made in advance, allowed to air dry...several days- a week depending on humidity....then stored until needed.

-K8memphis Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 4:50pm
post #5 of 17

I think my first choice would be gum paste or maybe even fondant plus cornstarch. I mean a cake that small would take like two poinsettias to get 'er done.

Also, in buttercream, I could/would straight up pipe 'em on there.

-K8memphis Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 4:55pm
post #6 of 17

And I think the term you are looking for is a cascade of poinsettias?

They can be made from a leaf tube--just pipe 'em out like wheel spokes--lots of different ways to make them but that's one way.

The advantage to using the leaf tube with the stem down the middle is they come so wide. You can use the v shaped leaf tube but you're making smaller flowers.

richnangela Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 5:33pm
post #7 of 17

What is a crusting butter cream? And you're right K8 - cascade is the word a mean! icon_smile.gif What is a leaf tube? If I do them in royal icing, can I do them all ahead of time and just assemble on sight? Would it work that way with butter cream too?

AnitaK Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 6:37pm
post #8 of 17

Although I'd probably do Royal Icing, it can bleed if you put it on a cake right out of the fridge or the freezer so make sure its room temp before adding them.

all4cake Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 6:59pm
post #9 of 17

I don't know why, but I was thinking swags...

Loucinda Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 7:42pm
post #10 of 17

I have seen the poinsettia done in gelatin now too - very pretty! Those would cascade nicely.

richnangela Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 7:55pm
post #11 of 17

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions! I'm definitely a bit nervous! But at the same time I really want to learn it and do it! icon_smile.gif My Wilton class doesn't start for 2 weeks and I'm really anxious to just get moving! icon_smile.gif

Loucinda - is there a tutorial anywhere on how to do it in gelatin?

Loucinda Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 8:00pm
post #12 of 17

Here is the post on how to do the butterflies, bows and flowers - you can contact Diane at cakeconnection dot com for the mat to make them on - they are very pretty!

http://cakecentral.com/justdi-ftopicp-6458441.html#6458441

icer101 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 8:03pm
post #13 of 17

roland winbeckler has a wonderful little buttercream flower book.. in there , he has the poinsettia,etc. he uses a rose tip,etc. you could pipe them right on your buttercream frosted cake...it would look beautiful and taste wonderful.. eat the cake , flowers and all.. yummy.. i would use at least a #125 rose petal tip.. hth

richnangela Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 8:08pm
post #14 of 17

I think the bride is going to prefer it in butter cream (I might be able to convince her to use royal icing). If I do, how do I make the cascade? I don't want it to look flat if that makes sense. THat's why I think I'd rather use royal icing for more of dimensional look but maybe I'm wrong - I don't know anything real yet!

icer101 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 8:11pm
post #15 of 17

again, roland winbecklers flowrers. are dimentional... they are gorgeous.. the book is inexpensive... hth

richnangela Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 8:43pm
post #16 of 17

Thanks - I'll check out that book! icon_smile.gif I appreciate the help!

-K8memphis Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 11:14pm
post #17 of 17

Over pipe (aka piping over) the petals will get you some dimension.

http://acmecakes.com/images/snowflakecake.jpg

These are piped. The snowflakes are rice paper cut with a scrap book punch.

The branches look like dog doo-doo with pine needles but the poinsettias are buttercream icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%