How To Remove Old Fondant From Cake Dummy

Decorating By dogluvr Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 5:22pm by BlakesCakes

dogluvr Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 12

I have a 3 tiered cake from last years county fair that, if possible, I'd like to use the same cake dummies for this year. Is there an easy way to soften and remove the old hardened fondant from the dummies......

11 replies
tanyascakes Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:45pm
post #2 of 12

You know I was just told down in Texas that you can throw those into the dishwashe ron a regular cycle and they will come out as clean as a whistle! Now I am not sure if it will work for you since it has been a year. But I am sure someone else will have the answer for you! HTH!!

dogluvr Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 12

are you saying to put the dummies, with the fondant on it in the dishwasher....won't that get fondant all of the dishwasher?

tanyascakes Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 12

That is the same question that I had. That is what they told me to do. They said that it will wash it all away just like when you put dirty dishes in there. I have yet to try it. But they said they do it all the time with no problems!

DianeLM Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 12

I just soak the dummy in a big bowl of hot water. It needs to be weighted down otherwise it will float. I use a heavy skillet to keep it submerged. After an hour or so, most of the fondant dissolves right off. I use a pan scraper to scrape off stubborn spots.

christinapp Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 4:00pm
post #6 of 12

I submerge mine in a big pot of hot water and cover. I usually have to rotate it from time to time.

I think the dish washer idea is great. What really takes the fondant off is the heat and steam. It just melts off. When the fondant has melted off my dummy all that left behind is water the color of the fondant, so I don't think it will hurt the dish washer at all.

christinapp Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 4:04pm
post #7 of 12

Allow your dummy to dry thoroughly before using again as water can seep into those tiny air spaces.
Turn them over to allow both ends to drain and dry completely.

icer101 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 4:05pm
post #8 of 12

all i have ever done.... is hold it over trash can... take a clever or heavy knife. whack it off. works great. no wet dummie.. simple as that..

Chevy24785 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 4:06pm
post #9 of 12

When I took a cake class, the teacher told us that before we put fondant on the dummy cakes to put a little bit of Crisco on it, and that when we wanted it to come off all you would have to do is just pull it off. I have not tried this but it could be worth a try for this years cake.

dogluvr Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 4:13pm
post #10 of 12

I did put a bit of crisco on...but it is so hard...maybe once I soak it in water a bit to soften it a bit, it may come off....I don't want to take it of with a knife for fear of damaging the dummy....thank you for all of your help....

__Jamie__ Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 4:14pm
post #11 of 12

Put hardened fondant covered dummy in thickish (think Target) plastic bag. Twist to close. Hold with one hand. Whack on floor. Repeat. Should crack right off. No mess, no clean up. Soak your dummies too many times and they get fuzzy and soft.

BlakesCakes Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 5:22pm
post #12 of 12

Hi, Rachel !!!!!

I put them in the dishwasher and use the air dry rather than the heat cycle to dry them. They come out SOOOOOO nice & clean.

I usually put them in the top rack only---no pinching between dish holders, either, as they can warm too much & dent the styro. You can even wash them in the top while you have dishes in the bottom.

The fondant won't hurt the dishwasher--it just turns back into a sugar syrup and goes down the drain. No more harm than washing a bunch of dishes from a pancake breakfast..........After the final rinse cycle, the dummies & the dishwasher are sparkling clean.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%