The Cake From Hell!

Decorating By Mickey17 Updated 4 Sep 2009 , 3:13am by LizzyLaw06

Mickey17 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 19

Yesterday, I was busy dealing with the cake from hell. I was working on making a Sesame Street Cake for a kiddo in my daughter's playgroup.

I made my fondant figurines and they turned out Ok, not great, but Ok. I screwed up the Cookie monster because after he had been drying for 10 mins, i got a bug up my butt about adding lines to look like fur and it didn't work very well. The Abby figure was a little weird because she is the hardest character to model on a really small scale, and the fondant/gumpaste mix was really warm and soft.

Then I started baking. Major issues. I made 3 cakes and none of them were going to work. My cream cheese icing was WAY too soft and turning into soup. I was out of chocolate to make more Ganache, out of baking powder, and out of eggs because I had just thrown away a bunch when the cakes took their dive. So I was faced with staying awake into the wee hours to make another cake (and who knows if it would turn out because I was having issues.) Or find another way to get a cake.

So I called my local grocery store and ordered a plain white cake. I figured that it will taste like hell, but once I add the sign and the figures at least it will be cute. I pick up the cake (already boxed) and bring it home. Feed daughter dinner, deal with bath, bedtime routine and all that jazz. Finally get around to opening the box. It is a disaster in itself. Icing is pulling away from the cake, cake is not level, the levels aren't even centered on each other. Basically a HOT mess.

I briefly considered dragging my 2 year old daughter back out of bed to go buy more baking supplies. (DAMN I should have done that when I picked up the cake.) But reject it. This is a free cake done as a favor, I am a hobbyist at this point even if I would like to open a shop at some point. I can find a way to make this work. So I scrape off the icing, try to slide the layers so that they are centered on each other and give it a crumb coat. Cover it with fondant (never used fondant with buttercream before and MAN it sucked, Major bulges everywhere). Put on the decorations, which don't lay well because the cake is still not level and has icing bulges. Take some pictures, stick it in the fridge for the night hoping that it will firm up.

Frankly, I am a little scared to open the fridge this morning.

HOmemade cake disaster

Lipstick on a pig cake

18 replies
jenng1482 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 19

Wow! If you can turn that mess into that adorable cake - anythings possible! Great job!

-K8memphis Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 19

Suffering for the cause huh.

But the cake is adorable and you certainly get an A for effort above and beyond the call of duty.

Spuddysmom Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 19

Your analogy suffers.... certainly not "lipstick on a pig"! cuz that cake is definite proof that you turned a sow's ear into a silk purse. Nice save!

tanyascakes Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 19

Sorry you had to deal with that! But I think you made a wonderful recovery! Maybe for the fur next time, try using the small manicure size scissors and make little "V" shaped snips into the fondant to make the fur stand out! Just a thought!!

pattigunter Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:34pm
post #6 of 19

Well the cake from hell turned out really cute!

Megan9039 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 5:35pm
post #7 of 19

The cake looks great. I wish had your skills and patience. icon_biggrin.gif

Uniqueask Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 5:50pm
post #8 of 19

Very cute cake, nice save a job well done

CakeDiosa Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 8:25pm
post #9 of 19

WOW! I'll have to remember this the next time I have my cake from hell. Maybe I'll print out this thread and tape it to my pantry door.

Great save! Without the story there is no way of telling the horror you were faced with.

Caike Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 10:49pm
post #10 of 19

Not sure what else to say other then nice save! Agree on the silk purse comment!

scgriffiths Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 10:57pm
post #11 of 19

Wow, you did a great job!!

YouCaterer Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 10:58pm
post #12 of 19

You did a great job saving a terrible cake! Impressive for sure!!

Williamus Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:11pm
post #13 of 19

Great save...good for you!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 3:20am
post #14 of 19

oh wow. i think you have a magic wand. to turn something like the first pic to that beautiful cake? Well done. you handled yourself very well and didn't up. icon_smile.gif See? you can do anything now.

sugarandslice Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 3:43am
post #15 of 19

It's really impressive that you managed to create such a great looking cake out of such a disaster. It's a credit to your skills and perserverance.

Mickey17 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:45pm
post #16 of 19

Just to be clear..... The first and second pictures are two seperate cakes. The first went into the trash. There was no savng it.

becky27 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 10:03pm
post #17 of 19

well still...great job!!! loving everything...your figures are supa cute!!!!

G_Cakes Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 10:21pm
post #18 of 19

"Lipstick on a pig" that is absolutely hysterical!!!

Now looking at the before and after picture you did a fantastic job!

If thats what you refer to as lipstick on a pig, you can make me over anytime! Great Job!!

LizzyLaw06 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:13am
post #19 of 19

you pulled thqt one together well! great job

Quote by @%username% on %date%