Need 60 Servings From A Recipe That Serves 12

Decorating By loves2bake4six Updated 27 Aug 2009 , 5:08am by JanH

loves2bake4six Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake4six Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 5

I have an order for a birthday cake for a client's husband's birthday and she came to me with the recipe she wants me to use.

The recipe will be assembled into 4 layers and iced very simply with Ganache and toasted nuts.

The recipe I've been asked to make results in a 4 layer 9" cake. The recipe says it serves 12 but it's SOOO rich, I know I can probably get at least 24 servings from it.

However I need cake for 60. Which is a 14" cake right?

I did some math. The volume of a 9" x3" cake is ~191 while the volume of a 14" x 3" cake is ~461. That means I need 2.5 times the amount of batter (if you round it off)

Would you just adjust the ingredients or would you bake the recipe twice each in two layers and get a slightly shorter cake.

FYI here's the recipe:
http://www.bonappetit.com/magazine/2008/09/chocolate_cake_with_fleur_de_sel_caramel_filling

4 replies
JoJo0855 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo0855 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 5

Make the batter as directed then measure the amount of batter. Then check the Wilton site for the cake batter amounts for each pan.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 5

Looking at my chart a 9x2in pan takes 5.5 cups of batter, a 14x2in takes 10 cups, so yes, you will need a double recipe for each layer (and I would do it in 2in layers and torte those to get your 4 cake layers).

HTH!

loves2bake4six Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake4six Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you

Mike, where can I find the chart you are using

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:08am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2bake4six

Thank you

Mike, where can I find the chart you are using

Here's a link to Wilton's cake making page..icon_smile.gif

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/

Has cake preparation and servings charts which give batter requiresments by pan size as well as servings by pan (wedding or party size servings).

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%