How Many Tiers For A Window Display

Business By MissCakeCrazy Updated 28 Aug 2009 , 5:42pm by cylstrial

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 7

I am going to be doing 2 wedding cakes for a window display and am confused whether I should do 3 or 4 tiers. I am trying to save on time and money but if it looks better 4 tiers, then I'll do 4. Can someone give me some advice?

Also, for the base tier, should I get a board the same size as the tier or larger? What looks better?

6 replies
majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:22pm
post #2 of 7

MissCakeCrazy, this is a difficult question.

Do two things before you start:

1. Make drawings. Either in pencil or paper, or in some drawing software - I like trying it in PC better myself, because I can make it quick and make the "parts" larger or smaller, change the configuration and so on.

2. Take out the baking pans, turn them upside down and stack them as you would your display cakes. Try different combination, 3 or 4 tiers.

Some people can see it in their mind, I need a drawing and sometimes to be sure the stacking-the-pans method. This will cost you few sheets of paper if you do "real" drawing or your time only...

The answer on your question is unfortunately - it all depends on your design.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 7

why not do one of each?

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 7

I recently did a cake for a florist's window this is the link: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1405595
He asked for something very tall and still placed a milk carton covered with fabric under it. The display was fantastic, but it was a very large window.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:26pm
post #5 of 7

Is this your storefront window, or in someone elses shoppe? In my front window, I have several different displays, single layer, 2- 3 tiered stacked, 1 4 tiered stacked & pillared. different shapes, and designs, colors etc.

You can't really go wrong, just do what you are comfortable with and would normally offer to your clients.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 1:21pm
post #6 of 7

THe window display is to grab their attention so the bigger the better. Or the more elaborate the better. I have a 6-tier in my window. Will pillars between every single tier.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 5:42pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCakeCrazy

Also, for the base tier, should I get a board the same size as the tier or larger? What looks better?

I like to get a board that is a few inches bigger. To me, it just looks nicer. I like there to be anywhere from 2 to 4 inches bigger than the cake. So if it's a 12" cake, I might go up to a 16" board.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%