Wilton Glitter Gel

Decorating By moralna Updated 29 Aug 2009 , 1:09pm by Loucinda

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:20pm
post #1 of 15

Can someone tell me if the Wilton Glitter Gel hardens. I would like to paint some on fondant and have it dry, but am not sure if it does. Can someone help?

14 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:35pm
post #2 of 15

No, it is like normal gel and stays wet. I guess it would eveantually after a loooong time but do you have that kind of time? If you want glitter, you should look at the new disco dusts. They might be what you are looking for. I have used them on several cakes along with luster dusts. I love everything sparkly!

mackeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mackeymom Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:35pm
post #3 of 15

I used it.... It was more of a pain them it was worth! I used it on the sides of a cake, and it it is put on too think it will drip. AND it will take two or three days to HARDEN. Until it hardens it is very goopy, like corn syrup. Very sticky! I won't use it on a real cake, only dummies. So I can decorate the side of a cake, then let it dry for three days then rotate and decorate another side of the cake and let it dry for three days. let me see if I can find some pics of how hard it is to work with......

mackeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mackeymom Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:41pm
post #4 of 15

This dummy cake was decorated over and over night the gel started to drip down.
LL

gloria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gloria Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 15

I used it on the shoe of one of my cakes - took about 3 days to dry.

Although it looked okay, to me the amount of "sparkle" you get isn't worth the trouble.

See my purse and high heel cake.

moralna Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 15

Thanks so much guys!! I will definitely not use the gel. Does the disco dust have that glittery affect!

moralna Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 10:16pm
post #7 of 15

One more question on the petal dust. . . can it be combined with vodka or extra like luster dust to get an extra shine or is it not necessary?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:05pm
post #8 of 15

Check out the shoe in my pics (red one) that is done with disco dust - you can see the sparkles - I painted the shoe with red airbrush paint first, then sprinkled on the disco dust.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1357359

The tiara cake in my pics has it on the shoes too - and if you look close, you can see the cake has it "misted" all over it. (I actually put the disco dust on a sheet of paper - held it near the cake and blew the dust onto the cake for that one)
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1433541

moralna Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:14pm
post #9 of 15

Loucinda - your shoes/cake looks great!!! So basically, you kind of sprinkle the disco dust as opposed to luster dust where you brush it on - is that right?

Loucinda Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 2:19am
post #10 of 15

Yes, you have to sprinkle it on. The "flakes" are really too big to be able to use a brush with it. (and I know this from experience) UNLESS you don't want it to be a complete coverage - in that case yes, you can use a brush.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 3:26am
post #11 of 15

Also, disco dusts are not toxic, but are not considered edible. It should be used on items that will definitely NOT be eaten and will be removed from the cake before serving.

There is a new line of edible glitter from a UK company called Rainbow. I think you can find it at beryls.com It's lovely, but somewhat pricey, stuff.

HTH
Rae

Loucinda Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 12:12pm
post #12 of 15

Yes, I make sure to tell the customers (IF I have used it on an edible cake - so far the ones I have used it on are dummies) that you cannot eat it!

moralna Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 1:02pm
post #13 of 15

Thanks everyone for all the great information and advice!

sweet-thing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-thing Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 3:24am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

Check out the shoe in my pics (red one) that is done with disco dust - you can see the sparkles - I painted the shoe with red airbrush paint first, then sprinkled on the disco dust.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1357359

The tiara cake in my pics has it on the shoes too - and if you look close, you can see the cake has it "misted" all over it. (I actually put the disco dust on a sheet of paper - held it near the cake and blew the dust onto the cake for that one)
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1433541

Those little shoes are great! I love them!

Loucinda Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 1:09pm
post #15 of 15

Thank you! I know they are a hit with the little girls - at ICES there weren't many adults checking that cake out, but just about every little girl that passed it stopped and loved it! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%