Imbc Hard To Make??

Decorating By Mug-a-Bug Updated 27 Aug 2009 , 8:16pm by tiggy2

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 7

I've been making my buttercream with butter, crisco, PS, and flavorings. I thought this was the only way but now I'm seeing all sorts of recipes and my head is spinning! I'm not that happy with my recipe - it's not that good and not that smooth. I used it on a cake last weekend for the park and it started melting and looking all gross and greasy. (I know I could have used all crisco to prevent this.)

I've heard people raving about IMBC, but there's one problem - I'M LAZY! icon_lol.gif Is this hard to make? I'm pretty inept (I make my cakes from a box) and the thought of cooking this stuff is overwhelming! Any thoughts? icon_confused.gif

6 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 7

IMBC is easier and faster and less messy to me than making the ps buttercream. Here's my recipe:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-4243-3-Meringue-based-Buttercream.html

luminajd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luminajd Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 8:08pm
post #3 of 7

I have a batch of SMBC in the mixer right now. I am a total convert. My husband doesnt like the traditional butter or Crisco BC, when he tried SMBC he said "It tastes like whip cream". I havent tried IMBC but SMBC is seriously EASY. And no flipping powdered sugar all over my kitchen.
I use this recipe

I could eat an entire batch of this stuff!

Clovers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Clovers Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 7

I'm too lazy too, but I found a recipe that I LOVE and it's pretty much the same as what you're doing already... it's from SeriousCakes and basically, it's the same recipe, but you add in heavy cream (I use whipping cream) and a bit of corn syrup. She shows how to make it and the recipe on her youtube video if you do a search for it.

It holds up well in heat, and it tastes great without being super sweet.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:44am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityCakes

I've been making my buttercream with butter, crisco, PS, and flavorings. I thought this was the only way but now I'm seeing all sorts of recipes and my head is spinning! I'm not that happy with my recipe - it's not that good and not that smooth. I used it on a cake last weekend for the park and it started melting and looking all gross and greasy. (I know I could have used all crisco to prevent this.)

I've heard people raving about IMBC, but there's one problem - I'M LAZY! icon_lol.gif Is this hard to make? I'm pretty inept (I make my cakes from a box) and the thought of cooking this stuff is overwhelming! Any thoughts? icon_confused.gif

it sounds like you need to invest in someone's dvd on making buttercream...but i'm not saying...just kidding! icon_rolleyes.gif sugarshack! icon_lol.gif

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:15pm
post #6 of 7

I've been wanting that one... I'm lazy and CHEAP!!! I've seen her youtube video where she shows how to make it. Seems pretty standard. Can't wait to try the IMBC. What's the melt factor with this stuff??

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 8:16pm
post #7 of 7

Sugarshack's BC is far from standard and it won't melt off of your cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%