Peeling Fondant Effect?

Decorating By manomi Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 9:43pm by manomi

manomi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manomi Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 8:04am
post #1 of 6

I want to know how to achieve the look of the peeling fondant (don't know how to describe it) like this picture:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1445468.html
Great cake! On the sides of the elmo, it looks like the Elmo cake out ripping the fondant. I want to do that. Do i not put buttercream on the top of the cake and after i have put the fondant ,i make cuts on the top and peel it?or is there some other way?
TIA!

5 replies
majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 8:39am
post #2 of 6

Well, easiest would be to ask the OP icon_smile.gif

But I did enlarge the photo - it is optical illusion that the layer of fondant is ripping. The "spikes" are made separately and put on the finished cake. Look carefully on the one left next to the center triangle - you can see the curled edge.

The cakes are usually made easier than we think. Nobody will examine the cake so exactly as we can icon_biggrin.gif

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 9:51am
post #3 of 6

Yes, each triangle is made separately. Left to dry while draped over something to get the curve. Then "glued" into place.

still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 9:54am
post #4 of 6

I agree with PP. I wouldn't peel back the fondant. I would cover the cake normally and add the faux pieces to get the look. Actually peeling it could be a mess and would be much harder to achieve the same look. Good luck!

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 10:03am
post #5 of 6

When I made this cake (my 2nd cake ever):

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=66810

I put a layer of fondant on just the top of the cake, then covered the whole cake as normal. I then carefully cut an asterick pattern (to create the spikes) in the top layer of fondant only and folded back the spikes.

manomi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manomi Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 9:43pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks a lot every one. Yeah it does make more sense than what I had in mind icon_redface.gif [/img]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%