Am I The Only Person That Cannot Use The Bench Scraper??

Decorating By Normita Updated 29 Aug 2009 , 6:33pm by tonedna

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 6:07am
post #1 of 19

I can never use the bench scraper without pulling off all my icing. Its like I am bench scraper impaired!! Am I the only one that has problems with this?? I get better luck using just a plain ol angled spatula. Any suggestions on how I can get better??

18 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 6:18am
post #2 of 19

You have to see Edna's youtube video:

HTH

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 6:23am
post #3 of 19

Is it one piece or does it have a separately made handle? I couldn't get my bench scraper to work for cakes until I found one where the handle wasn't wider than the blade. Even the tiniest overage makes it uneven.

Normita Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 2:54am
post #4 of 19

It's in one piece. I think I just have to practice, practice and practice some more with that thing. It just makes it soooooo difficult...I get so frustrated that I just give up and go back to my spatula. I have watched Edna's video, but I am going to watch and pay more attention and see if I can pick up her techniques. Thanks for your guys's input

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 8:05am
post #5 of 19

I use a plastic bowl scraper. My bench scraper is thick and made of metal with a plastic handle, way too heavy/ thick for icing.

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:33pm
post #6 of 19

I want to thank you Normita for posting this question - I had never heard of this technique. And a HUGE thank you to JanH for posting this YouTube link. I tried this for the first time last night.... and it was like a blanket has just been lifted up off of me!!! I have always hated buttercream cakes because they were not smooth and the dark colors were just a dissaster with the crusting buttercream. I was about to stop offering buttercream as an option and only cover cakes in fondant. This video was amazing because it showed me how to use the bench scraper (already my favorite kitchen tool just for cleaning up fondant...), and for telling me about Viva Papertowels. I've tried the paper towel method before with no luck - obviously I didn't focus on the brand name, and it was a huge mess. Does anyone know Edna's name here on CC? I see there are quite a few and I would LOVE to PM her and tell her how much I have appreciated this video!!! Honestly, today I feel like a totally new person!!! Thank you so much!!!

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:47pm
post #7 of 19

Her name on here is tonedna! HTH

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 3:06pm
post #8 of 19

Sounds like you're holding the bench scraper too sharp an angle to the side of the cake. It's supposed to be at a very small angle to the cake, almost laying on it, rather than touching the side.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

HeatherWantsCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherWantsCake Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 4:00pm
post #9 of 19

Mega-noobie question... where does one find a bench scraper? I just watched that video and it looks like an amazing tool but I don't remember seeing one at Michael's (which is all I've got for baking supply shops). Is it a hardware store thing?

Speaking of things I can't find here in the middle of nowhere - Viva paper towels. I've never seen that brand - what is it that I'm looking for in a paper towel? No ridges or patterns, I'd guess? Would wax paper do, in a pinch?

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 4:08pm
post #10 of 19

Thank you TanyasCakes! HeatherWantsCake - I got my scraper from a kitchen supply store (like at the mall) as a gift. But, I think I've seen them at Target. And, don't buy any other brand of paper towel. Get Viva! I've tried them and they don't work! Keep looking for Viva - it's Kleenex brand. It says "cloth-like" and it's so true! Good luck.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 4:11pm
post #11 of 19

Wilton sells a pretty good one, in that section of yellow utensils. I forget what they call it, maybe a pastry scraper. It's nice and heavy, and the handle is the same size as the blade. I bought two of them, which I use mostly for table-tempering chocolate.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 4:30pm
post #12 of 19

I got mine at Target for about $3. It's on the isle with the kitchen utensils and gadgets.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 4:36pm
post #13 of 19

The one I have is from Williams Sonoma. I think Bed Bath and Beyond Stores sell them sometimes.. The trick with the scrapper is to be light enough so you don't dig in the cake, and strong enough that you can straighten it. You should have enough icing in your cake so when you take the excess of you dont play with your crumbcoat.

Make sure you put the cake on the fridge so the crumbcoat hardens before you give the second coat.

If you are new with crumbcoats, try making your crumbcoat is white and the second coat in a color. If you see white, that means that you dont have enough icing and you are playing with the crumbcoat.

Keep in mind...Your crumbcoat is a light coat of icing that seals the crumbs to your cake. If you dont see your cake under the crumbcoat, that means you have too much icing.

Hope this helps!
Edna icon_smile.gif

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 4:57pm
post #14 of 19

you are not alone! i have trouble with the benchscraper too. i always take off too much. guess i'm heavy-handed...

Normita Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 5:30pm
post #15 of 19

OMG......so I was TOTALLY holding the bench scraper wrong!!! I had it at a 90 degree angle straight up and when I would turn my turn table I would just "dig" into the cake. I watched Edna's video (again) and paid more attention on the way she held the bench scraper....and decided to give it a try. OMG.....IT WORKED!! I was beyond ecstatic icon_smile.gif I managed to get BC super smooth. I also use the viva paper towel AND also a technique I used from Sugarshacks dvd's....Computer paper!! It smoothes it out even more. Makes it look almost like fondant (if you smooth it out right) I purchased mine at bed bath and beyond, it is from the brand bash n chop. I would be in the same area as the utensils. Or, michaels carry the wilton brand. This is a pix of my latest cake using my bench scraper. Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1447997

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 6:20pm
post #16 of 19

and for those having a hard time finding a bench scraper or just prefer the ambiance of Home Depot (and the like) --

a drywall taping knifes work great too and come in up to 14" widths and in stainless steel.

http://www.all-wall.com/acatalog/SS_Taping_Knives.php

tonedna Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 6:24pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

and for those having a hard time finding a bench scraper or just prefer the ambiance of Home Depot (and the like) --

a drywall taping knifes work great too and come in up to 14" widths and in stainless steel.

http://www.all-wall.com/acatalog/SS_Taping_Knives.php

My assistance actually uses this..the only problem is, that if you are not one of those people that are good with holding them straight your cake sides can be crooked. The plus side of a brench srcapper is that the flat side can lay flat on the board making the scrapper stand straight making your sides more straight. Almost like you would use an L ruler, to make sure your lines are straight..

Edna icon_smile.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 6:29pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

My assistance actually uses this..the only problem is, that if you are not one of those people that are good with holding them straight your cake sides can be crooked. The plus side of a brench srcapper is that the flat side can lay flat on the board making the scrapper stand straight making your sides more straight. Almost like you would use an L ruler, to make sure your lines are straight..

Edna icon_smile.gif

granted...

just be sure to get one that has straight, not rounded or flaired sides -- then they work just like a scraper.

tonedna Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 6:33pm
post #19 of 19

[quote="Doug"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Edna icon_smile.gif

granted...

just be sure to get one that has straight, not rounded or flaired sides -- then they work just like a scraper.[/quote

Yup!..she got the ones that are rounded..Once she had the ones with the straight edges but I dont know why she never never used them as much. So she stuck to the ones that are round. Usually for round cakes she does great with them, but when she does squares she has more troubles..Im trying to make her get a square one!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%