Melting Icing!!?? Help

Decorating By cowgirllvn Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 7:51am by indydebi

cowgirllvn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowgirllvn Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 4:54am
post #1 of 3

I am in the process of making a "prego belly" cake. I made a sheet cake and covered (or should i say tried) it in a homemade buttercream icing i found on CC. My problem is.....the icing looks as though it is trying to melt. I tried to put it in the freezer, but when i took the cake back out to put the "decorations" on the "belly" (whick was covered in MMF) the MMF started to "sweat" I am lost and want this cake to be as close to perfect as I can get it.....It is for my youngest brother and his GF's babyshower tomorrow...and this will be his first baby and I am worried the cake will not look good.

What can I do to make the icing look as professional as possible. Thanks in advance
tina

2 replies
jewelzbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelzbakescakes Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 5:14am
post #2 of 3

I would crank my air conditioning or put it back in the fridge.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 7:51am
post #3 of 3

Sweating will occur when anything is brought from a cold temp to a room temp.

Is your BC too thin? If so, you can add more p.sugar to thicken it up and to help the crusting process. (more sugar = more crusting. More fat = less crusting).

Is your fat/sugar ratio too high? I use 1-1/3 cups of fat to 2 cups of p.sugar. I've tried recipes that call for 2 cups fat to 2 cups p.sugar and it not only tasted like crap, but I couldn't deal with it as icing on a cake ... just wouldn't work right for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%