How Do You Make Fall Leaves?

Decorating By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 3:37pm by HamSquad

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:38am
post #1 of 7

Hello all! Any advice on how to make fall leaves, twigs and pumpkins would be greatly appreicated. I've never done it before. I guess they would be best made from gumpaste because then they can be really thin? Maybe mixing fall colours together, cutting out leaves, and pressing against a veiner? What colours of dust would you use and how?? I've included a picture of what I had in mind. (Sorry I'm don't know who made the beautiful cake - someone just e-mailed it to me.) Thanks so much!
LL

6 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:40am
post #2 of 7

When I made fall leaves for my Fall basket I cut out several shapes and sizes of leaves in multi colored fonndant that I mixed in together like oranges and reds ..Yellow and brown with a touch of green.It was really neat seeing the colors mix.Then I layed them out crinkled and flat and curved.etc...

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:02am
post #3 of 7

what kiddiekakes said.. and also.. wash real ones.. dry them. then melt different colors of chocolate disk.. using paint brush.. paint on these different colors.. peel off when hardened.. yummy!!! make chocolate clay.. then make your acorns.. from chocoalte clay.. make your pumpkins.. all edible.. yummy!

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:22am
post #4 of 7

Pumpkins out of modeling chocolate! Yummie. I cut my leaves, veined them and literally threw them on wadded up parchment paper to give them shape. I then airbrushed fall leaf colors in wide arcs, dusted with a touch of dust. I have used copper to give a bit of morning dew luster and color to them. HTH

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:41am
post #5 of 7

I used fondant for mine, but I was going for a more whimsical look and didn't care as much about realism. I used different colors (red, orange, yellow) then used Color Mist for some different shades. I sprayed the yellow with either orange or a little green, I used red or more orange on the orange leaves, and extra red on the red ones. I put them all on little squares of waxed paper and set them all in egg cartons, either in the cups or draped over the pointed parts. I thought they came out rather well!

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:21pm
post #6 of 7

i bought some rubbery veined kind of like little mats, but all were seperate, and has 6 different leaves, i think i bought them on e-bay

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:37pm
post #7 of 7

I've used MMf fondant or gumpaste to make leaves and wilton edible food makers to color details on them. To dry, I placed them on crinkled up aluminum foil to curl them over or under.
Hammy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%