What Do You Put Your Wedding Cake On?

Decorating By Lael Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 3:33pm by gloria

Lael Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lael Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:19am
post #1 of 18

Just a wood board? Do you cover it? What is the best thing to cover it with?

I have a wooden board I want to put a wedding cake on, but it is the color of, well, wood. I want it to be white. Would you use fabric to cover it? Or paper, like butcher paper or something? Does the paper or fabric soak up the moisture from the cake, and will it show?

Please help! thanks!

17 replies
josumiko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josumiko Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:23am
post #2 of 18

how about covering it with fondant or royal icing? If you cover it with fabric, I would suggest either oiling it before you put the cake on it, or covering it with clear contact paper (make sure your cake is on a cardboard round if you do this!)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:26am
post #3 of 18
Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:36am
post #4 of 18

I ususally use a wooden board, but cover it with wrapping paper... somthing to kind of match the color scheme or theme of the cake if there is one.

I've covered my cardboard in it too. You can pick up a bunch of rolls at the 99 cent store to keep on hand.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:46am
post #5 of 18

I use mirrors, sometimes just clear glass. I've used wooden boards or 3 or 4 cardboards glued together and covered, but I always put my cakes on a cake board then onto the base stand. I will cover the boards with contact paper or foil......what every fits the design.....and trim the edge with a matching ribbon.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:50am
post #6 of 18

If you use wrapping paper, you'll need to cover it with contact paper because the wrapping paper will soak up the oil from the icing and make a grease ring around the cake. Then you should use a cardboard round under the cake so it doesn't touch the non-food safe contact paper, either.

The other reason you don't want to put cake directly on wrapping paper is that some of the dye in the paper may be toxic, especially from the dollar store. Considering that they've sold toys with lead in them, I don't consider anything from there food-safe except food items.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:57am
post #7 of 18

I agree,,,, always put a cake boards between....not only for health reasons, but , when they cut the cake it tears the foil or even the contact paper - not a pretty picture.....

Darthburn Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:57am
post #8 of 18

How embarrassing... I got a schooled big time on that one icon_redface.gif

Thank you Ruth - I've always had a hard time figuring out how to make the board look nice and that was the only way I could think of. I guess I didnt consider the ink leaching. I also forgot to mention leaving it on a cardboard icon_sad.gif My bad.

Lol now you know why its just a hobby and not a profession.. LOE

I'm not familiar with contact paper... what is that? Maybe I can Google it.

I see all these awesome cake boards and stuff... what the heck are they covering them in?

Lael Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:03am
post #9 of 18

thank you for your replies and great tips!

I would like it to be white, and I'm going to trim it with ribbon or fondant...

I also am wondering about contact paper...

Lael Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:06am
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Wilton makes foils to cover boards. http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E312365-475A-BAC0-56EB4259BBF926EF&killnav=1

thanks I just checked it out! I never knew they made those... you think they carry them at hobby lobby (kinda like michaels)?

Darthburn Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:07am
post #11 of 18

Also... since this sort of boarders on that line of question, what about supports?

I have used wooden dowels before, so I imagine those are safe. What about when you see cake competitions and they use copper or screws (like i did with my Jack cake) or PVC for frames?

I remember on Ace of Cakes once they made a comment about the support system and said it wasnt food safe yet, but he'd soon make it food safe. What do they do to do that?

Or is it just the intention that any type of sculpture is for looks and not entended to eat though it is technically all edible material?

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:09am
post #12 of 18

Contact paper is clear plastic that is adhesive on one side. It's sort of like one giant roll of scotch tape. That way you can still see the pretty wrapping paper under it, and it sticks it all to the board when you wrap it around to the underside. Comes in a roll like wrapping paper.

Darthburn Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:09am
post #13 of 18

Lol hold on... duuuuh contact paper... like you put in your drawers... with sticky side and decorative top.

Wow Im batting horrible tonight

Lael Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:12am
post #14 of 18

I don't know about sculptures, but I know wilton makes plastic dowels. they are hollow in the middle and they have cake boards (plastic) that go with them, they kinda lock together... i used them when i worked at a grocery store bakery

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:24am
post #15 of 18

I've always used the foil rounds or covered the wooden rounds with the foil Wilton makes. It comes in Gold and Silver...usually go with Silver for wedding cakes.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:39pm
post #16 of 18

I just found these: http://www.logicpic.com/ROUND.HTM

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:16pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityCakes

I just found these: http://.com/ROUND.HTM

This link didn't come through right...can you re-post?

gloria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gloria Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:33pm
post #18 of 18

I made, for my very first wedding cake, on a board. I covered it with fondant and I continued the cake decoration right onto it.

Although my cake wasn't the greatest (after a 45 min. ride in Aug. temp.) the cake board was great.

see my wedding cake in blues and white

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%