Spray Paint/styrofoam?

Decorating By kandu001 Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 2:53am by terrylee

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:11am
post #1 of 7

I tried to spraypaint some styrofoam balls to be ears on a Mickey cake, but the styrofoat seems to be getting eaten up by the paint! I have seen so many cakes that people say they spraypainted styrofoam so why isn't it working for me? What can I do to salvage the ears?

Thanks!!

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 1:26am
post #2 of 7

wrong type of styro.

You need to kind that's compressed.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 1:36am
post #3 of 7

We had this happen with my daughter's science project in school. I had a can of rustoleum paint that I thought would work for black since I had it on hand. It disintegrated the foam. The regular old spray paint from Hobby Lobby worked just fine, though.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:11am
post #4 of 7

Kristin, it doesn't sound like you can save the styrofoam. You'll have to start all over with something else. I assume you need something very light Maybe rice krispy treats? How about spray painting some plastic lids of a disposable plastic container and attaching them to straws and sticking into the cake?

staten93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staten93 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:29am
post #5 of 7

Do you have any candy melts that you can color black. I made a cake with a Mickey Mouse hat on top of it. I melted the candy melts and made a circle with a point coming off one side. I cut a slit into the top sides of the hat and slide the pointy side into the cake. I thought it turned out cute plus it was easy. There is a picture in my gallery. Just thought I would give you a different direction to go in since the painting isn't going well. Good luck.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:37am
post #6 of 7

Were you going to put something that's been spray painted on a cake? Aren't you afraid the paint will bleed into the icing? Or is it food safe paint?

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:53am
post #7 of 7

I made rounds out of fondant maybe 1/8" thick and put them in the bottom of a bowl to get the curved shape of Mickeys ears....in a few days they were dry and they stood up just fine...I cut a small slit in Mickey's head and pushed the rounds in.......I used black fondant but you can do a dark gray and paint them black.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%