Spray Paint/styrofoam?

Decorating By kandu001 Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 2:53am by terrylee

kandu001 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:11am
post #1 of 7

I tried to spraypaint some styrofoam balls to be ears on a Mickey cake, but the styrofoat seems to be getting eaten up by the paint! I have seen so many cakes that people say they spraypainted styrofoam so why isn't it working for me? What can I do to salvage the ears?

Thanks!!

6 replies
leah_s Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 1:26am
post #2 of 7

wrong type of styro.

You need to kind that's compressed.

millermom Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 1:36am
post #3 of 7

We had this happen with my daughter's science project in school. I had a can of rustoleum paint that I thought would work for black since I had it on hand. It disintegrated the foam. The regular old spray paint from Hobby Lobby worked just fine, though.

LittleLinda Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:11am
post #4 of 7

Kristin, it doesn't sound like you can save the styrofoam. You'll have to start all over with something else. I assume you need something very light Maybe rice krispy treats? How about spray painting some plastic lids of a disposable plastic container and attaching them to straws and sticking into the cake?

staten93 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:29am
post #5 of 7

Do you have any candy melts that you can color black. I made a cake with a Mickey Mouse hat on top of it. I melted the candy melts and made a circle with a point coming off one side. I cut a slit into the top sides of the hat and slide the pointy side into the cake. I thought it turned out cute plus it was easy. There is a picture in my gallery. Just thought I would give you a different direction to go in since the painting isn't going well. Good luck.

Ruth0209 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:37am
post #6 of 7

Were you going to put something that's been spray painted on a cake? Aren't you afraid the paint will bleed into the icing? Or is it food safe paint?

terrylee Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:53am
post #7 of 7

I made rounds out of fondant maybe 1/8" thick and put them in the bottom of a bowl to get the curved shape of Mickeys ears....in a few days they were dry and they stood up just fine...I cut a small slit in Mickey's head and pushed the rounds in.......I used black fondant but you can do a dark gray and paint them black.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%