Chocopan Help

Decorating By rhopar33 Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 5:01pm by alidpayne

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:10am
post #1 of 8

Fellow CC'ers:

My sister is getting married saturday and I have been tasked with creating the wedding cake of the century. I ordered chocpan for the first time and now I am starting to read all these reviews about how hard it is to work with. I also read a review that said to NEVER EVER refrigerate the cake after its covered in chocpan because it will sweat and look slick and messy.

Can someone please tell me the best way to work with chocopan? Should I mix it with a regular fondant?

has anyone had problems with refrigeration?

Any help/suggestions/insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rhonda

7 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:25am
post #2 of 8

Unless you're using perishable fillings, you don't have to refrigerate the cake. I never refrigerate my cakes.

I find the pre-colored chocopan is "gooier" than the white, so if working with other-than-white, be sure the kitchen is pretty cool. Otherwise, I like the flexibility of chocopan and definitely the taste. If you dust your fondant, use p.sugar and not cornstarch, because of the white chocolate that is in the chocopan (got this straight from the mouth of Linda S., the lady who invented Chocopan).

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:32am
post #3 of 8

I'm actually using a mousse filling in a couple of the layers. Will the chocopan turn wet or slick if refrigerated?

indydebi Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:37am
post #4 of 8

HEre's hoping someone who does fondant and perishables will pop in here. Since I never refrigerate my cakes, I can't help with that part for you. icon_redface.gif

pangegray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pangegray Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:41am
post #5 of 8

I have used chocopan and refrigerated a cake covered in chocopan(before I read that you shouldn't). It did sweat some but once it warmed back to room temperature you could not tell that it had. It certainly tasted fine as the whole cake was gone within minutes. I would suggest it being used in a cool kitchen though since it does get very soft quickly. Good luck!

alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 4:24pm
post #6 of 8

I use choco-pan exclusively, but I don't ever put my cakes in the fridge, so I can't help with that part. I can tell you that I find it easier to work with than other fondants, and have always wondered why people have so many problems with it. I do keep my house cold, so that may help.

Debi, I have always used cornstarch with choco-pan, and never heard otherwise. Did she tell you why she recommended using powdered sugar instead?

indydebi Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 4:33pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by alidpayne

Debi, I have always used cornstarch with choco-pan, and never heard otherwise. Did she tell you why she recommended using powdered sugar instead?

She was doing a demo and dusted the fondant, so I asked if it was cornstarch or p.sugar. She then said the p.sugar was better because of hte white chocolate.

alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 5:01pm
post #8 of 8

hmmm. well, I've never had a problem, but I may try the ps instead just to see what my results are.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%