Cover A Ball Shaped Pan Cake With Fondant?

Decorating By kandu001 Updated 27 Aug 2009 , 9:17pm by kandu001

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:10am
post #1 of 10

I need to make a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse cake and I don't want the fondant to look ugly and have a bunch of seams. How do I cleanly cover a ball shaped cake with fondant???

Thanks!! P.S. It's the head, so It won't really be setting on anything for me to hide the bottom really well! YIKES!

9 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:57am
post #2 of 10

hmmm, that's tough since it won't be sitting on anything. I suggest you elevate it on top of something smaller and then cover with fondant.

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:13am
post #3 of 10

let me just say good luck!!!
i did a britney spears rep with a fondant covered ball... i covered it fine on the ummm 5th try (roll it thick) but the bottom was hard to get flat and it had alot of bunching that took a long time to try to fix... i use smbc so before i covered it i put it in the fridge along time so i could cover the top the flip it ontomy hand to do the bottom (gloved! lol) hth and if you have any more questions ill try to answer!

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:18am
post #4 of 10

It takes a bit of time and good temperment. Do NOT try at 2 a.m. with a baby crying in the background and a sick hubby. It is not a pretty picture. The carriage in my pics was covered in fondant. I made sure it was really pliable and nobody was around to "help". Once I got to the bottom, I kept rubbing my hand to keep them warm to smooth out the wrinkles. Just work it patiently, fresh pliable fondant. Oh, the idea from Cake and Dazzle to flip over on to your hand is a good one!

kandu001 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 10:16pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks!! I'm going to try to make the head out of RKT, so at least it will be stiff enough for me to turn over. I'm still scared about bunching! I want it to be perfect because it's for a really good friend's son's first birthday!!

tigersluv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigersluv Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 10:51pm
post #6 of 10

If you put it on a coffee can or shortening can then cover, idealy the bunching will be below the "cake".

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 11:20pm
post #7 of 10

Found this online:
http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/CoveringFondantQA.htm

and this thread from CC:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-625509-.html

I do think using something smaller under your cake so that the fondant drapes down past the cake might be the way to go though just like Rlyan and tigersluv mentioned.

kandu001 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:33am
post #8 of 10

Thank you for the links!! I just finished covering the balls. The covering part went great, but the styrofoam is a little bumpy underneath and it's driving me nuts!! I'm going to try to fix it, so we'll see how it goes!

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:22pm
post #9 of 10

Try covering the cake almost frozen, You will then have the ability to roll it from side to sides slightly as you smoother the fondant around the bottom.

I covered this minnie mouse head whilst it was frozen as well.

Good luck,

Kim
LL

kandu001 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:17pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you! Your Minnie is adorable!!

My friend and I actually found a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse piggy bank that we're going to set on top of the cake instead.

I kind of feel like it's cheating since anyone can put a plastic bank on top of a cake, but hey, it's much less work for me!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%