Would Using A Stainless Steel Bowl Change Icing Consistancy?

Decorating By Roxybc Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 1:59am by Rylan

Roxybc Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:58pm
post #1 of 8

I always use a hard durable plastic bowl, never stainless. Could that have been my problem with the kitchenaid mixer changing the consistancy of my icing?

7 replies
kathy164 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:02am
post #2 of 8

hmm,, not sure, I only use my stainless that came with the mixer and my icing comes out light and fluffy. I run it on the Aerate (sp?) speed.

varika Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:04am
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxybc

I always use a hard durable plastic bowl, never stainless. Could that have been my problem with the kitchenaid mixer changing the consistancy of my icing?

In a word, no.

I've made icing in glass, plastic, and steel, and it's never affected my icing consistency. What COULD be affecting it are humidity, whether or not you keep the bowl covered as you mix, and how much air you're beating in. Most likely culprit if you're finding a difference between your hand mixer/hand mixing and your kitchenaid is the speed at which you are beating it, because that adds more or less air to the icing.

2SchnauzerLady Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:12am
post #4 of 8

Try to make sure your icing is high enough to cover the blade in your KA = you get a lot less air that way. I only use stainless.

Roxybc Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:14am
post #5 of 8

Hmm, it could be the humidity for some reason, although this has never been a problem for me before. I was reading the instruction booklet and it was meantioning the different names for the speeds, but my mixer only has speeds 1-10 listed on it, but I couldn't find any explanation as to what number corrisponded to which speed.

I ended up adding a bit more butter to it, and the icing came out a bit fluffier. I'm off to bed now - it's 1:15am here in London. I'm making the cupcakes tomorrow night, and will beat the flavourings and colors into the icing tomorrow, so perhaps more air will whip into it tomorrow.

Is it ok to leave my bowl of buttercream at room temp over night as long as it's covered?

Roxybc Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:16am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTFundraiser

Try to make sure your icing is high enough to cover the blade in your KA = you get a lot less air that way. I only use stainless.

Well, I'm wondering if I need a smaller bowl for the mixer. I wasn't aware until an hour or so ago that smaller bowls were available, but the batch of icing I'm making will ice about 20 cupcakes using a large Wilton Tip

jammjenks Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 1:18am
post #7 of 8

Is the bowl room temp? Sometimes if I take mine from the dishwasher and don't let it cool back to room temp, it can make the icing too soft. You wouldn't want it too cold either. Just a thought.

Rylan Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 1:59am
post #8 of 8

Never had a problem but April makes sense.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%