Modeling Chocolate Out Of Candy Melts?

Decorating By sweetcakesbydesign Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 5:08pm by emiyeric

sweetcakesbydesign Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:44pm
post #1 of 12

i heard of this recently and was wondering how you do this? Is there a specific recipe for modeling ?
Thanks

11 replies
varika Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakesbydesign

i heard of this recently and was wondering how you do this? Is there a specific recipe for modeling ?
Thanks

14 oz. candy melts
1/3 c. corn syrup

Melt the chocolate in the microwave on 50% power. Stir in the corn syrup until combined. Wrap loosely in plastic wrap and let sit overnight; dry off any excess oil in the morning and wrap tightly. It gets REALLY REALLY hard when it sits, but if you have some muscle and some patience, it turns into a nice plasticity rather like stiff fondant.

2SchnauzerLady Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:09am
post #3 of 12

It's not pretty when you first make it, but once it sits overnight and you knead it, it comes out perfect. If it's too hard, put it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften it.

SandiOh Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:15am
post #4 of 12

I really like to use this stuff, I use it in place of gum paste for alot of stuff. sometimes I don't like to make a whole batch, so I use 1 tsp corn syrup for 1 oz candy melt. I have found that the flavored candy melts, while they work, tend to be a bit stickier, but still work.

emiyeric Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:23am
post #5 of 12

So you don't really cover cakes with modelling chocolate though, right? Just the figurines and other gumpaste-equivalent tasks?

emiyeric Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:23am
post #6 of 12

So, you don't actually cover cakes with it, right? Just gumpaste-equivalent tasks such as figurines or flowers and such?

varika Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:34am
post #7 of 12

Actually, you can cover a cake with it. I know it's been done on Ace of Cakes a few times, though they put fondant over top of it, too. I'm not sure why!

SandiOh Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:35am
post #8 of 12

I have heard of people covering cakes in chocolate clay, but that is using good quality chocolate, not the candy melts. I just use it for decoration. I like to use the premium dark cocoa candy melts for my zebra stripes...no they're not black, but very dark and I think it tastes like fudge...I use the colored candy melts for anything else. you can also use white melts and add the candy coloring. If you check out the Whimisical Bakehouse cookbooks, she has a color chart included to make a whole range of colors out of candy melts.

SandiOh Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:37am
post #9 of 12

oh and another reason I like using candy clay is that it usually dries pretty hard...and does well in the fridge.

sweetcakesbydesign Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:43am
post #10 of 12

Thanks everyone

drakegore Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:54pm
post #11 of 12

here's a website where the decorator uses it (chocolate, not candy melts) to cover and decorate most of her cakes (she calls it rolled chocolate):

http://www.dessertworks.net/weddinghome2.html

diane

emiyeric Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 5:08pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks! I do most everything in fondant, and have been wondering about modelling chocolate ... so would the recipe be the same if I were to do it with good good chocolate for covering a cake? Thanks for all the great tips, and thanks to the OP for bringing it up! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%