Black Forest Cake Question Need Help !

Baking By suedefringe Updated 31 Aug 2009 , 2:33am by Lita829

suedefringe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suedefringe Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:31pm
post #1 of 14

Hi,

I am in need of making a quick cake for Wilson course 1 cake decorating class. A few years back I turned a box cake into a black forest cake by omitting liguids(just the water I think) But I cant remember how I adjusted the temp and time. If anyone could help I would apreciate it ! I wanted to do something besides plain but not so much as baking a from scratch cake ! Not yet anyway..one hurdle at a time thumbs_up.gif

Thanks for any help you guys can give me ,
Colleen

13 replies
suedefringe Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:32pm
post #2 of 14

Instead of water I added a can of cherries !

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 14

I bake the chocolate cake as usual and have Cherry Pie filling in between the layers. I either use a stabilized whipped cream frosting or a vanilla buttercream.

HTH

suedefringe Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:53pm
post #4 of 14

thats a cool idea ! Thanks icon_smile.gif Lemme ask you tho, do you circle the cake with icicng to keep the cherries iN ?

Lita829 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:18am
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedefringe

thats a cool idea ! Thanks icon_smile.gif Lemme ask you tho, do you circle the cake with icicng to keep the cherries iN ?

Yupper. I use a Wilton #12 tip and outline around the edges with frosting. I then fill the cake with the pie filling and put the second layer on top and frost the top and sides.

suedefringe Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:22am
post #6 of 14

Thanks Lita ! WIll try it !

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:24am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lita829

I bake the chocolate cake as usual and have Cherry Pie filling in between the layers. I either use a stabilized whipped cream frosting or a vanilla buttercream.

HTH

I did the exact same thing yesterday with IMBC. It was DELICIOUS!!!

Lita829 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:25am
post #8 of 14

You're Welcome icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:26am
post #9 of 14

Lita829 has the proper description of a black forest cake. I use stabilize whipped cream.

suedefringe Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 11:59pm
post #10 of 14

i did it....ugggg what a mess!!!!!!!!!!!! im gonna try the cake mix doctor recipes next

Lita829 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 12:32am
post #11 of 14
Quote:

i did it....ugggg what a mess!!!!!!!!!!!! im gonna try the cake mix doctor recipes next

I'm sorry to hear that your cake didn't come out well. What went wrong?

suedefringe Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 1:27am
post #12 of 14

To tell you the truth I have no clue ! I put the cherries on and then I tried to decorate and the cake fell apart ! icon_sad.gif (also I did put the icing on perimeter to keep the cherries in but no such luck. Tasted great but what a mess. What I really wanted to do was put the cherries in the cake not on it or between the layers. From doing some searches online looks like I might have found the answer how in the cake mix doctor books. Basically I was hoping to "doctor" up my cake so I will let you know if they recipes are any good. icon_smile.gif

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 1:40am
post #13 of 14

This is the recipe that I use for black forest cake and everyone that eats it LOVES it. I got it from all recipes. Instead of the glaze, I usually make chocolate or dark chocolate buttercream to fill and ice. Hope it helps!

Quick Black Forest Cake

1 (18.25 ounce) package devil's food cake
mix with pudding
3 eggs
1 tablespoon almond extract
1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling

1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
Directions:
1.   Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2.   Mix together: cake mix, beaten eggs, almond extract, cherry pie filling and 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips. Stir until just combined. Pour batter into a greased 9x13 inch pan.
3.   Bake in a 350 degree F (175 degree C) oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove cake from oven and let cool.
4.   To Make Glaze: Heat 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, butter or margarine, and milk in a saucepan over medium high heat. Once semisweet chocolate chips are melted and mixture is combined stir in confectioners' sugar.
5.   Spread glaze over cooled cake. Serve cake as is or with whipped cream and a cherry.

Lita829 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 2:33am
post #14 of 14
Quote:

To tell you the truth I have no clue ! I put the cherries on and then I tried to decorate and the cake fell apart ! icon_sad.gif (also I did put the icing on perimeter to keep the cherries in but no such luck. Tasted great but what a mess. What I really wanted to do was put the cherries in the cake not on it or between the layers. From doing some searches online looks like I might have found the answer how in the cake mix doctor books. Basically I was hoping to "doctor" up my cake so I will let you know if they recipes are any good. icon_smile.gif

Hmmm....I'm stumped icon_confused.gif . Did the cake structure itself fall apart or did the cherries seep out from between the layers? I use scratch choc cake and when I put the cherries in between, I only put very little cherry pie "juice" (I don't know what else to call it icon_redface.gif ). I put mostly all cherries. I also put a very thick outline of frosting down before I fill with cherries. After filling, I frost the sides and top...even though I sometimes put more cherry pie filling on top with a frosting shell border.

Another question...did you use buttercream or stabilized whipped cream? Stabilized whipped cream can be tricky to work with but when its right...its super yum.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%