Whats The Best Way To Prep A Cake For Fondant

Decorating By corinne32 Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 11:51pm by sugarMomma

corinne32 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:03pm
post #1 of 3

I have been a cake decorator for awhile now but i am mostly self taught. so i cant seem to get all the ins and outs of working with fondant. is it best to refrig a cake after i crumb coat or leave it at room temp? and then when i do cover it it always seems to be so imperfect with sometimes bulges of buttercream making its way out. i dont put much in the centers but it still seems to show. whats the best way to go about this, and should i refrigerate the layers when i am done? i hate the condensation that they get when you take them out. Please help i have and eight layer cake coming up this weekend and would really love to be proud of it. thank you in advance for your help!

2 replies
auntginn Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:36pm
post #2 of 3

I always pipe a ring of bc around the edge to create a well. I leave about 1/2 inch space from the edge. Then add my filling. I crumb coat and return my cakes to the fridge while I do the other tieres. I was taught and found to be true that when the icing is cold and stiff it is easier to work with.

From my experience if I got bulges it was because my cakes were too soft and the weight of the fondant pushed the filling and icing out.

Anyone???

sugarMomma Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 3

definitely refridgerate after applying a thin icing layer so it is nice and cold and hardened for easier, cleaner application of fondant with sharper edges.
I dowel it right away before the icing softens up too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%