Whats The Best Way To Prep A Cake For Fondant

Decorating By corinne32 Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 11:51pm by sugarMomma

corinne32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
corinne32 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:03pm
post #1 of 3

I have been a cake decorator for awhile now but i am mostly self taught. so i cant seem to get all the ins and outs of working with fondant. is it best to refrig a cake after i crumb coat or leave it at room temp? and then when i do cover it it always seems to be so imperfect with sometimes bulges of buttercream making its way out. i dont put much in the centers but it still seems to show. whats the best way to go about this, and should i refrigerate the layers when i am done? i hate the condensation that they get when you take them out. Please help i have and eight layer cake coming up this weekend and would really love to be proud of it. thank you in advance for your help!

2 replies
auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:36pm
post #2 of 3

I always pipe a ring of bc around the edge to create a well. I leave about 1/2 inch space from the edge. Then add my filling. I crumb coat and return my cakes to the fridge while I do the other tieres. I was taught and found to be true that when the icing is cold and stiff it is easier to work with.

From my experience if I got bulges it was because my cakes were too soft and the weight of the fondant pushed the filling and icing out.

Anyone???

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 3

definitely refridgerate after applying a thin icing layer so it is nice and cold and hardened for easier, cleaner application of fondant with sharper edges.
I dowel it right away before the icing softens up too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%