Baking Times, Does It Change With The Change In The Pan Size

Baking By Lovelymeets Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 10:48pm by indydebi

Lovelymeets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelymeets Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 5

Hi
So for example if a recipe calls for 325 degree recipe for 1.5 hours lets say a Bundt pan, then do i need to change the temperature for the same recipe for lets say a 6 inch pan or a loaf pan? How do we decide on the time?
Would appreciate your response.
thanks

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 10:34pm
post #2 of 5

Yes, it does. Think about when you roast a turkey. It has to bake so many minutes based on the weight. Bigger birds bake longer. Smaller birds bake shorter.

How long? I've no idea. I don't use a timer. Quit using them years ago. Drives my daughter nuts because when she asks "how long does it bake?", my answer is always "until its done!" I can tell by looking at itor when I can smell it. icon_biggrin.gif

Smaller cakes bake in less time than larger cakes.

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 10:39pm
post #3 of 5

Yes, it most likely will. You will have to go by look and test with a toothpick/skewer to see if it's done.
Also be aware that you can have issues with dry edges and bumps/cracks in the middle when using a different pan. The cake will bake differently and not all recipes are up to that - so make sure you keep an eye on it and use a heating core if possible.

Edit - oops, Debi was faster than me.

Lovelymeets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelymeets Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 10:41pm
post #4 of 5

But i do maintain the same temperature that was mentioned in the original recipe, correct?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 10:48pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelymeets

But i do maintain the same temperature that was mentioned in the original recipe, correct?

Good question. I do reduce the temp when baking larger cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%