Painting On Fondant/refrigerating

Decorating By 3GCakes Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 10:18pm by 3GCakes

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 6

I know it has probably been asked before, but when I do a forum search I never seem to find what I need.

So...

I am making a YU GI OH cake with one of the main characters....cake will be 12 inches round. I want to put the whole character on, and thinking that painting it will be the best way. I don't want to do FBCT because the image is way too detailed and has too much shading.

I am going to use IMBC underneath, and cover the top with fondant, then paint it. The cake is for Saturday, but my sister is going to help with some of the detailed painting part so we will do it on Friday.

She likes to water down the gel color with water, but should we use extract? Do the powdered colors work better?

Will I have a problem if I box it up and put it in the fridge til Saturday?

Thanks!

5 replies
divaessence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divaessence Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 6

Don't thin the gels with water, it will "melt" your fondant. Use vanilla extract or vodka. I have not personally tried powered colors (only lustre dust and it worked great) but I've heard they work just as well.

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 9:49pm
post #3 of 6

There's no need to water it down. I use them straight from the bottle and it works perfectly. If you use the powdered colors, just add some vodka or lemon extract to them (again, no water).

As for the fridge, fondant is fine in there. Just make sure you DO NOT touch it when you take it out, or it can smudge. icon_smile.gif

3GCakes Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 10:00pm
post #4 of 6

Pipe-dreams and Divaessence,

Thank you so much for the info! I will make sure that if it needs thinned, we use some extract or something...I didn't know water would "melt" the fondant.

I won't touch it out the fridge either. I am glad to know it won't hurt it.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 10:16pm
post #5 of 6

I've done my share of painting on fondant (btw, I thinwith vodka) and I caution you when putting your character into the fridge --especially if you are experiencing humidity. The fridge back to room temp is going to cause condensation (aka - water) on your surface. You need to have a box big enough for it to fit into so that when it starts coming back up to room temp, the box can take on some of the condensation. Refrigerate the cake with consideration to how much time is needed to allow it to come to room temperature before serving. For a small cake, this might mean taking the cake out an hour before serving for a larger it might mean as much six hours.

3GCakes Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 10:18pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks, Win. Should I put the cake and the box into the fridge?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%