Modeling Chocolate-Help!

Decorating By c8kdreemz Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 2:03pm by Ursula40

c8kdreemz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
c8kdreemz Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 8:09pm
post #1 of 7

Can anyone tell me how to work with it! I know the ingredients but is there something other than corn syrup and choc. added in order to make it pliable and able to roll out like fondant in order to cover a cake?

6 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 7

You just have to knead it to soften it up.

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 7

It's just melted chocolate and corn syrup. Tiggy2 is right, you have to knead it (a small piece at a time) until it is soft and pliable. I haven't tried covering a cake with it - not sure that works (at least not like you would fondant). The most I have done with it as far as covering a cake was to roll it out and cut out scalloped pattern around side of cake and on top (dragon cake in my photos). I know from that experience that it is not as easy to roll out as fondant.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 8:46pm
post #4 of 7

Jennifer Dontz has a semi homemade fondant using melted chocolate that is very good. The recipe is on both of her DVDs. Do a member search for jennifermi.

c8kdreemz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
c8kdreemz Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the responses. I didn't realize I had posted this twice. Anyway, I know it can be done because decorators on Food Networks challenge do it all the time. Mainly Mike McCary. I've tried a little on a cupcake and it was delicious. I think people will like it better than the fondant so i wanted to try it.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:00pm
post #6 of 7

You can always knead a bit of fondant into the modelling chocolate. It will be brown, can't colour it the way you do fondant, but it does taste really good, much better than pure fondant

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:03pm
post #7 of 7

Just to add, the fondant makes it easier to roll out the modelling chocolate, it's not that liable to strech and tear, mostly by the heat of your hands or in my case, the kitchen in summer

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%