Wedding Cake Scam

Business By robint Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 7:44pm by cakegrandma

robint Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 11

I'm not sure if this has been posted before but watch out for this scam. I was just contacted by email by someone who wanted to order a cake for their daughters wedding. I was highly recommended by their wedding planner and they want to have my cake shipped to Florida (I am in Kansas City!) The kicker is that they want me to add $1000 to the price and they will pay me BUT then I have to pay the "shipper" the $1000 by Western Union. So we have all heard of this type of scam, I pay the shipper and their check to me bounces. I hope no one falls for this.

10 replies
loriemoms Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 11

yes, this has been around for a while...I got one one time where they wanted a birthday cake for thier daughter and put Happy Marriage on the cake. hahahaha!

leah_s Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 11

Yeah, that's an oldie but goodie. It's been around for years.

CelebrationsbyLori Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 10:39pm
post #4 of 11

I have gotten this several times over the years. I just got this one yesterday! Watch out for the phone calls from the service for the hearing impared, they like to use those too.
Lori

Mensch Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 5:01am
post #5 of 11

Happy Marriage Life!!!

cfao Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 11:58am
post #6 of 11

I guess they need a lot of wedding cakes this week - I received this one yesterday. I have always received them from a man, this time they have a wedding planner and it is written by the "mother of the bride" Ha,ha. You know it's from a guy in front of his computer just pushing the send button over & over.

Hello,
Good day to you,I got your information from my wedding planner on your cake baking and I will like to know if you can bake me a cake in my daughter's up coming wedding on the 6th of SEPTEMBER... Well I will like you to bake me a strawberry cake of 4 tiers that can serve approximately 70 guest,and I want the cake to be decorated with pink roses and the cake should be covered in fondant, or butter cream and packed in a box and let the inscription be writing on one of the cake as (HAPPY MARRIED LIFE) and i will need the picture of it. I will be responsible for the shipment of the Cake from your location using my private Shipping Company.So I want you to calculate for me what will be the total cost of the order the decoration,tax if included so once I have your reply for the total I will remit my credit card or i can make the payment by cashier check or money order for you to charge for the total costso that you can have the order book right away.this is because i'm not in the state presently on offshore and i will not be back till 2 weeks time.

I await your reply soon.

Thanks and God bless.
Mrs Kenny ..

"kelly grassonk" <[email protected]> On: Aug 08/25/09 4:32 AM

Reply to: "j grassonk" <[email protected]>

jillmakescakes Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:25pm
post #7 of 11

i got the EXACT same one from Mrs Kenny!!! I thought it was funny that she said she wouldn't be in until two weeks time when Sept 5th is two weeks away. I thought about having some fun with them, but then realized that I didn't have time.

KKC Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:41pm
post #8 of 11

I use to work for the Florida Relay Service for the hearing impaired and these people (scammers) would call every single day, all day and tell us to call different companies and they'd try to order things like 1000 laptops or cellphones or whatever and ask them to ship it to Africa...and they'd try a bunch of different credit cards. It had gotten to the point where I would purposely give the wrong credit card number to the store in the hopes that they'd catch on that it was a scam. Some folks caught on and hung up and some didn't. If the person at the store hung up they'd tell me to call back and try a different card. icon_mad.gif They'd literally go thru about 20 credit cards, and what was so bad about it is that the company I worked for let these calls go through because those calls were the main calls that kept their numbers rising. They did absolutely nothing about those scam calls until someone threatened to sue them, and even still they allowed some of the calls to still go through icon_confused.gif Its sad that they take advantage of this wonderful service.

cakegrandma Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 1:29pm
post #9 of 11

This is not on the subject of cakes but holds to the scam. Thank God I am on this site, even if it seems as though it is too much at times. I put an ad on Craig's List to sell my Razr Cell phone, elec charger and car charger. Nothing wrong with it, I just wanted one that was easier to text on as my DD texts all the time and I hate having to hit the keys 2 or 3 times to get the letter I need. Lo and behold I get an email that a guy wants to pay me on Pay Pal and give me an extra 100.00 to ship it over seas. I email back and tell him I have no PP account, I want cash. He replies, due to the way he works it is difficult for him to do that, open a PP account, very easy to do. I say no, not willing to do that. His next reply back is that it is quicker for both of us and very easy. From day one with his insistence this "SCAM" from the cakes had been in my mind and I finally email him and ask him if he would like me to have my husband trace his email to his true IP address and then turn it over to my daughter who is a Sheriff's Deputy or my son who is in law enforcement? He then comes back with, why do I think this might be a scam???? Because of all the scams going on? It is so simple to open a PP account. I told him cash or nothing to prove to me it wasn't a scam. Haven't heard from him since. Gee maybe I lost my opportunity to sell my phone and keep the money left over?
evelyn

KKC Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 6:10pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegrandma

This is not on the subject of cakes but holds to the scam. Thank God I am on this site, even if it seems as though it is too much at times. I put an ad on Craig's List to sell my Razr Cell phone, elec charger and car charger. Nothing wrong with it, I just wanted one that was easier to text on as my DD texts all the time and I hate having to hit the keys 2 or 3 times to get the letter I need. Lo and behold I get an email that a guy wants to pay me on Pay Pal and give me an extra 100.00 to ship it over seas. I email back and tell him I have no PP account, I want cash. He replies, due to the way he works it is difficult for him to do that, open a PP account, very easy to do. I say no, not willing to do that. His next reply back is that it is quicker for both of us and very easy. From day one with his insistence this "SCAM" from the cakes had been in my mind and I finally email him and ask him if he would like me to have my husband trace his email to his true IP address and then turn it over to my daughter who is a Sheriff's Deputy or my son who is in law enforcement? He then comes back with, why do I think this might be a scam???? Because of all the scams going on? It is so simple to open a PP account. I told him cash or nothing to prove to me it wasn't a scam. Haven't heard from him since. Gee maybe I lost my opportunity to sell my phone and keep the money left over?
evelyn

Cakegrandma, your story reminds me of mine a few months ago my hubby and I were looking on Craigslist for a car. Now I knew this deal was too good to be true it was a newer model Altima for $2,300 or better offer icon_confused.gif So we emailed the seller to see if there was some kind of typo regarding the price, she said that she was going to the army and needed to get rid of the car asap. I told her that I would feel comfortable if we spoke over the phone rather than emails, this lady came up with all kinds of excuses as to why we couldn't speak over the phone. I don't understand these people, they really need to get a life!

cakegrandma Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 7:44pm
post #11 of 11

KKC - I agree with you but I'm afraid the life they want is the part of ours that we have worked hard for, MONEY OR OUR PROPERTY. My theory has always been that if they worked half as hard at doing things legally they could probably be as well of or better and they would not have to look over their shoulder to see who was trying to catch up with them. If I did something illegal neither one of my kids would hesitate to put the cuffs on me and take me to the jail.
evelyn

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%