Prepping Cake Before Freezing?

Decorating By AllyR Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 7:23pm by PuffCake

AllyR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AllyR Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:07pm
post #1 of 6

Hi All,

I am going to try my hand at freezing cake layers as this will make my cake projects so much easier! For you experienced freezers, do you level your cakes before you freeze--so when you pull them out they are ready to be filled and decorated? OR do you leave them as is and level (or torte) after they have defrosted? OR does it not matter at all? icon_smile.gif

Thanks!
Ally

5 replies
stephanievo5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanievo5 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 6

I cool my cakes all the way. Then I level them or cut them into their layers. I then put parchment paper in between each layer and wrap them in freezer paper. I have a small chest freezer I use for ONLY my cakes. I also label each package to insure size, flavor, how many layers and date. I decorate them frozen but!!!! only with BC. Not fondant as it will sweat.

I hope this helps

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 6

That's exactly what I do, minus the parchment paper between layers. It's hte nicest thing in the world to open up your cake and be ready to go, no torting or leveling needed, just slap on your fillings and run. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

-Emi.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 6

i level them out, packaged them so as no air gets to them. when i pull them out of the freezer, i let it sit in the wrapper to thaw. i've never freezed filled cakes, so i don't know about that. icon_wink.gif

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 6

I cool them, sometimes level (or do it later), wrap the cake in two layers of saran wrap, then two layers of foil. Freeze. I thaw in fridge (versus on the counter) to avoid cake thawing too fast, generating a lot of condensation, and then getting gummy. On decorating day, I take cake out of fridge, still wrapped, set on counter for maybe an hour. Then, I unwrap and let sit for maybe 20 minutes before icing, just to dry up any condensation before trying to get icing to stick to it. I know many people ice straight out of the fridge, though, so it must be OK to do that.

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 7:23pm
post #6 of 6

I level them before I freeze, wrap in 1 layer plastic wrap, then in ziploc bag. I usually ice them right out of the freezer with great success. It's much easier to handle and ice a frozen cake. It also helps to keep the cake moist icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%