Cricut Expression On Sale @ Michaels

Decorating By Danielle1218 Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 3:14am by Jadeis

Danielle1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danielle1218 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 5:28pm
post #1 of 16

Had to share.....I have been waiting for about 2 years to purchase a Cricut Expression and it finally went on sale this week @ Michaels. IT is orginally $399 on sale for $299. I had saved a whole bunch of gift cards that I had received and I ended up getting it for about $185. What a deal!!!

I had been bidding on them on e-bay with no luck.

15 replies
tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 5:44pm
post #2 of 16

Congrats on your purchase. I just bought one a couple weeks ago after getting the Creative Designs DVD by Linda McClure. Haven't played around too much with it for GP, but what I have cut so far just boggles my mind. It has worked beautifully so far. I hope to get some time later today to play some more with it. Have fun with your wonderful new toy! icon_smile.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 16

can u use a coupon for this item as well?

tootie0809 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:15pm
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

can u use a coupon for this item as well?

Unfortunately, no. All the craft stores I shopped around for it (Micheal's, Joann, Roberts) exclude any Cricut machines and cartridges from their coupons. Sure would be nice if they did take them though! I figure it will save me tons on cutters in the long run though, so I felt that alone justified the price.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 16

well pooey

but thanks for answering!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 16

I just picked up the personal one, at ACMoore's for $99. I just wanted to try it out. I think i have it so that it will cut gumpaste and now i want to figure out how to get it to draw on the stuff.

I just couldn't justify the cost of the expressions, but the personal is just the right size for what i have in mind.

keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 8:40pm
post #7 of 16

Okay, so maybe I've totally missed the boat here, but you can cut gumpaste with a Cricut???? I have one and have used it do scrapbooking and cards, but never thought about gumpaste. Is there a special blade you need to get, etc? I guess I'll be searching for a tutorial, because now my mind is racing for all the things I could do with it. icon_lol.gif

live2create Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
live2create Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 9:19pm
post #8 of 16

I just did cake this weekend that I did use my smaller Cricut, it is now my new found friend for cutting letters. It took me awhile to get the thickness right to run throught the machine but I did. I know the cartridges are expensive but compared to buying a bunch of letters you may only use once I really don't think it is. I used both gumpaste and fondont. I know for some my cake isn't like the rest of your BEAUTIFUL cakes but I was so happy with what I had learned
LL
LL

live2create Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 9:21pm
post #9 of 16

Sorry for that double post I didn't want to do that at all

live2create Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 9:28pm
post #10 of 16

I hope I can do this much better !!!
LL

klat7292 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klat7292 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 9:45pm
post #11 of 16

WOW..live!! That looks GREAT! I've been hearing alot about Cricut...one day, when I grow up, icon_lol.gif I'll get one!! icon_wink.gif

Thanks for sharing! icon_biggrin.gif

tootie0809 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 10:02pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by keriskreations

Okay, so maybe I've totally missed the boat here, but you can cut gumpaste with a Cricut???? I have one and have used it do scrapbooking and cards, but never thought about gumpaste. Is there a special blade you need to get, etc? I guess I'll be searching for a tutorial, because now my mind is racing for all the things I could do with it. icon_lol.gif

Yes, you need the deep cutting blade (the blue housing unit). If you can, get the DVD from Linda McClure called Creative Designs. She walks you through how to use the machine for GP. I bought mine specifically for cakes, so I wasn't worried about how it would cut paper after using it for GP, but according to many you can use it for both paper and GP without any problems to the machine. I'm not a scrapbooker, but maybe I'll become one with this machine.

USMCWifePena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
USMCWifePena Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 10:03pm
post #13 of 16

Okay hopefully this isn't a silly question, but do you wait for the gumpaste to dry, or do you cut it as soon as you have it flattened?

live2create Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 10:12pm
post #14 of 16

I didn't wait for the gumpaste I used to dry, but the fondont I did. Also the mat, I learned the hard way...take the stickie stuff off. It takes some time but so worth it otherwise your product will stick to the mat and is a pain to get off. So really take the extra step

USMCWifePena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
USMCWifePena Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:30am
post #15 of 16

Thank you for the quick response

Jadeis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jadeis Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:14am
post #16 of 16

I just wanted to let everyone know that if you're buying a Cricut Expressions at Michaels, please fill out this form to get your school a free one as well!

https://www.creativexpress.com/rebate/index.school.php

I bought the Cricut Personal about a month ago. If only I had waited, I would have bought the Expressions so I could get the elementary school I work at a free Cricut. Oh well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%