Royal Icing Tiara

Decorating By Nikki1314 Updated 29 Aug 2009 , 1:34pm by Loucinda

Nikki1314 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nikki1314 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 20

I made a royal icing tiara and it looked great!...until I tried to peel of the wax paper, it broke into pieces. Any tips?

19 replies
pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 20

Oh NO!! icon_cry.gif

I've never made on before, but I am so sorry to hear that. Did you try putting some shortening on the wax paper before you put the tiara on it? I don't know if that would help in your case, but maybe someone else can chime in. I made a thin fondant plaque and it broke when I took it off the wax paper. So I put a tiny bit of shortening on the paper the next time and it came right off. It's worth a shot!

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 20

I've made a couple of practice ones so far and I haven't had any issues with getting it off the wax paper without breaking. The only thing I can think of is maybe it's too thin. My first one was so heavy that it fell off it's form, so I let it sit over night and then took the wax paper off with no problems. Also, let it sit long enough so that you are sure it's completely dry. There were a couple places on mine that were still a little damp and that is where it did want to stick.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 20

when i first did one this happened to me. then after practice i started making them a little thicker...wored out great. thumbs_up.gif

Nikki1314 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 20

thank you all for the tips! I am trying to make another one and doing it a little thicker this time. I did let it dry for 2 days but it may not have been piped thick enough. I am afraid to use shortening bc i heard that royal icing and shortening don't mix well, the grease makes it not set. Hopefully thicker will do the trick. I also received advice from someone else to try making it out of gumpaste so i am going to give that a shot also. Thanks Again!!

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:12am
post #6 of 20

Too funny that you posted this! I just made my first successful one today! It was my third attempt, the first 2 broke apart. I believe the reason was both too thin, and not waiting long enough.

This one had 3 thick layers with a #3 tip and I let it dry for 3 days. (I guess 3 was my lucky number huh?) LOL.

Good luck! Just be patient and keep trying. You will get it!

Nikki1314 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:26am
post #7 of 20

wow cookie! what a coincidence! Glad you finally got it! i think i used a #4 tip with the ones i did tonight, i also tried doing a gumpaste base on one and then detailing on top of it with RI so we will see how these ones do. I am def doing 4 layers this time bc i did 3 last time and it still broke! So maybe 4 will be my lucky number!! lol

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:14pm
post #8 of 20

hi all, i've made 2 first one broke every where, second, not to bad was coming off beautifully then started breaking ahhhhh i went over it twice, i just read a thread to go over it 3 times, i used the star tip and liked the look, oh i just read above i'm doing 4 too, i used parchment paper, this time i am going to take my exacto knife and go around the areas maybe this will help to. i hope lol

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 6:47pm
post #9 of 20

I posted this in the other post too - I make them out of gumpaste now, they are MUCH more durable - I don't even mess with the royal icing or candy melt ones anymore.

Here is a pic of the gumpaste one I did recently:
LL

ninatat Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 7:03pm
post #10 of 20

hi i saw this one in your pics and really liked it, i'm going to made it out of gumpaste to

ninatat Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 7:09pm
post #11 of 20

Lucinda can you post again so i can print out the pattern thank you

Loucinda Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 7:19pm
post #12 of 20

When you are making the ropes for the pieces, (like for the front top center piece) roll the rope out and then cut it into 3rds - that way the pieces will all be the same size. Makes it more uniform that way - other than guesing how much you used for one of the loops and trying to match it with another piece. (hope that makes sense)

I would do one piece on one side and then do the other side to match so it is symetrical. (again, I hope this makes sense to you)

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 7:52pm
post #13 of 20

Lucinda,

When you do the gumpaste one, do you just roll really think "snakes" and lay it on top of the template? How long does it need to dry?

Thanks for the help. I love the way your tiara came out!

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 8:07pm
post #14 of 20

My first one broke, too, and it was three layers thick. Thankfully I was able to glue it back together with a little white chocolate and no one could tell! I'm going to keep trying, but I'd really like to try the gumpaste tiara. It looks awesome, and I'm sure it would be tougher to break!

Loucinda Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 8:07pm
post #15 of 20

Yes, that is what you do. I keep a mat with some saran wrap close by and roll the rope - then cut it into however many pieces I want to be identical - cover the one you are not working with with the saran wrap so it doesn't dry out. Put the one you are working on over your template. Then do the other matching side. When you have pieces to join - use gumglue. When there is a place that just looks like it "needs" something, I made little balls and flattened them and glued them on. After I had all the design done, I then made a thicker rope and wrapped it around the base to cover all the little edges and used the gumglue to glue it all together. It took it a couple of days for it to dry completely enough for me to paint it. I took it off the oatmeal canister after the first day and a half so that the "back" of the piece would dry out too.

Nikki1314 Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 4:23am
post #16 of 20

YAY!! the second royal icing tiara with the #4 and 4 layers worked!

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 4:40am
post #17 of 20

your tiara is wonderful. do you have a pattern that you use? can you share it? i so want to try to make this style tiara.
any additional tips are very much appreciated!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Loucinda Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 1:01pm
post #18 of 20

Great job! Glad you conquered the royal. icon_wink.gif

cupsncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupsncakes Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 1:06pm
post #19 of 20

Last time I needed one I made three just incase they broke! One did but two survived, they're quite unpredictable icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 1:34pm
post #20 of 20

That is why I suggested the gumpaste ones! I never had good luck with royal.....I am glad there are folks who do though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%