Making My First Topsy Turvy - Do I Have All This Right?

Decorating By Larkin121 Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 8:00pm by Larkin121

Larkin121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larkin121 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 8

So I've read some tutorials, watched a youtube video... can you tell me if my plan below for making my first topsy turvy is good or if I'm missing something important or have something all wrong?

*Will use pound cake for easiest carving since it's my first try.

*Want to use 6" 8" 10" tiers... is that enough difference between tiers or should I be doing 6" 9" 12"?

*Was planning to use two 2" cakes for each tier but the tutorial I saw on youtube looks like there are 3 cakes per tier. Thoughts?

*Won't be able to refrigerate finished product, so can't use SMBC, will use WBH buttercream between layers and as crumb coat (no fruit filling to avoid sliding, yes?)

*Will carve the sides down to make it slightly skinnier at the bottom than the top... and then will cut the cake board afterward. Or do i cut it first and carve down to that size?

*Will use the method of cutting out a "hole" for the tier to sit on, then dowel through the middle.

Any words of wisdom before I attempt this? If I fail, it's no big deal because it's something I'm doing for free for my sister's Mad Hatter birthday party and it's only for like 12 people. (Although, my sister is not the type to let me live it down if it doesn't work... her friends will forgive me though!) icon_smile.gif

7 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 8

If you have time I recommend sugarshacks DVD "Total Topsy Turvy" www.sugaredproductions.com She'll guide you step by step through the whole process with no room for error.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 8

If you have time to order it, I highly suggest Sugarshack's Topsy Turvy DVD. I just got mine a couple weeks ago and did a TT cake using her method last week. One word....AWESOME! Sharon has some wonderful techniques and it is well worth the money. I've done TT cakes before using a different method and Sharon's is much better, IMO.

If you don't have time to order it though, I would say on what you have up here you're on the right track. I would definitely use three 2-inch layers because you'll need that height because you'll have a high and low side and the low side with only two 2-inch layers might look too squatty.

Good luck and post pics when you're done! icon_smile.gif

Larkin121 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you! I have the Sugarshack dvd on my wish list for my birthday (December), but this cake is for this weekend. Like I said, if it fails, it's ok 'cause it's just practice, but if I can get it decent looking that would be awesome.

Ok, I'll plan on 3 cakes per tier... now I wish I had 3 of each pan size, haha... takes much longer when I have to wait for 2 to bake before I can reuse one pan!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:05pm
post #5 of 8

i also suggest 3 inches differnece in tiers for stability at least. 2 inches not a good idea, LOL

good luck!

Larkin121 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 8

Aaack, I'm gonna have WAY more cake than we need, lol!! A 6, 9, 12 for 12 people?!? hahaha, we'll have cake for weeks.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 7:46pm
post #7 of 8

When I do a topsy turvy. I do graduated layers. For example 2-tiers: 6-7-8 on top of 8-9-10. Does that make sense. Very easy to narrow the sides that way.

Larkin121 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 8:00pm
post #8 of 8

Yup, makes sense, I've seen that before... but I don't own the in between sized pans yet, unfortunately. Someday! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%