Chocolate Mousse Filling - No Refrigeration....

Baking By georgyct Updated 6 Sep 2011 , 3:57am by sarascakecreations

georgyct Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
georgyct Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:47pm
post #1 of 10

I am looking for a chocolate mousse recipe that doesn't require refrigeration. I have a cake order for this weekend and the cake will be sitting out for a few hours. I am planning a choc cake/choc mousse filling/choc bc icing, covered in fondant and I'm worried about the filling bulging under the fondant, even with a bc dam. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

9 replies
sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:37am
post #2 of 10

I have used whipped Rich's bettercreme mixed with pudding before, and while it is not technically a mousse it is mousse-like, tasty and stable.

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:02pm
post #3 of 10

I use melted chocolate and make a "ganache" with non-dairy icing mix (Pastry Pride, etc.) Then, I whip some more pastry pride up and fold them together until I get a mousse-like consistency. I like using real chocolate instead of pudding mix, I think it tastes better, and sets up a little more firmly so I can put a nice, thick layer between each cake layer.

vicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicky Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyGanache

I use melted chocolate and make a "ganache" with non-dairy icing mix (Pastry Pride, etc.) Then, I whip some more pastry pride up and fold them together until I get a mousse-like consistency. I like using real chocolate instead of pudding mix, I think it tastes better, and sets up a little more firmly so I can put a nice, thick layer between each cake layer.

Where do you get Pastry Pride? Is it like powdered dream whip? How does it work with buttercream instead of fondant? THanks.

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:31pm
post #5 of 10

You find Pastry Pride or Frosting Pride or Rich's Bettercreme in the freezer section of certain stores. It comes in what looks like a milk carton. Here in NorCal I find it at Smart & Final. I have also seen it at cake decorating stores (at a much higher price, of course!). I'm going to try Rich's chocolate this weekend but up until now have used the vanilla Frosting Pride. I find it has a much better taste than Pastry Pride... JMO HTH icon_smile.gif

vicky Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:03pm
post #6 of 10

I'm not sure if any of those products are in the Midwest, specifically, Missouri. Are these products okay to leave out for a day after filling the cake without spoilage? Thanks.

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:12pm
post #7 of 10

If you have a Sam's Club, you can buy Rich's from their bakery department. I've never used Rich's, but from what I understand, it's the basically the same as Pastry Pride.

Yes, you can leave them out without fear of spoiling - they are non-dairy.

vicky Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 2:52am
post #8 of 10

Thanks for the info.

galidink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galidink Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 1:32pm
post #9 of 10

IF YOU FIND A CHOCOLKATE MOUSSE THAT DUZ NOT NEED REFIG . PLEASE LET ME KNOW . I NEED IT ALSO . FOR A WEDDING CAKE . THANKS [email protected] icon_biggrin.gif

sarascakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarascakecreations Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 3:57am
post #10 of 10

ohmyganash....

i also need a chocolate filling that doesn't need refrigeration. normally here in toronto i use something called nutri fil.... can you tell me how you make the ganache?

if you could give me some kind of directions that would be great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%